Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kchov » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 pm

kchov

Subject title: Face painting

Hello! I have recently gotten into digital art / painting in general and am looking for pointers on faces, hair and clothes.

Thanks!
asian portrait low res.png

Postby Spider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 am

Spider

Hey there
For starters I'd say you've got a lot of unnecessary saturation, and while it's definitely interesting to have a really bright range of colors, you took your colors, in combination with your values, a little far. You've also got some really intense values, there are some sections of your painting where you're using black for dark values, and you never want to use black. There's more notes on the repaint I did.
Otherwise, I do like the character and I think like everyone else you just need practice. Color is really deceptive, so don't get discouraged, study values. Also the hair, I didn't realize it was long but behind the cape until the very end, I thought it was just short, so thats why I gave my version short hair. For future reference, avoid using colors that are too similar to the background color, since it can mess with the viewers eye, and work on form with the hair, yours has a solid shape. You had the right idea with the stray strands around the forehead, but the rest of the hair is really flat.
In general, all your problems can be fixed with practice and study, only problem is it'll probably take a while.
crit.jpg

Postby kchov » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 am

kchov

Thanks for the pointers! I definitely went overboard with the saturation.:)

Postby naundeeey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 pm

naundeeey

Cool idea but alot of inconsistencies of light and proportion.

This image screams "COLORDODGE TIIIIME" all over the place.
My advice to you would be: less colordodge, more learning fundamentals like proportions and values.

Postby kchov » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 pm

kchov

Thanks for the feedback, its funny that you would mention color dodge because I actually didn't use any... just bumped the saturation slider.... too high. Thanks and I will work on my values.

Return to Critique This!