Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby chenrsf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm

chenrsf

Subject title: Looking for critique :)

Just finished this today and would love to hear what I can improve on, and also if you have any suggestions on how to improve my coloring and understanding of shadow and light.
Thanks in advance :)
thumbnail c 2.jpg

Postby Idan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Idan

The anatomy is a bit questionable. For example, I'm not sure what's going on around her hips area. Judging by her left buttock, either her torso is too long or there's some sort of gap in the space-time continuum there.

ddfghj.PNG

About the colours and light&shadow, I think you should study some photos and how forms appear in light. Your drawing is very flat in terms of values - it would be a good idea to convert it into grayscale - you'll see that the darkest values are still far from black, and they're just on her wings and socks, not in the shadows of her clothes and body. It would be much easier if you determined where the light is coming from (one light source) and painted the shadows accordingly. I went with the shadow you suggested on her left thigh and shaded her legs, skirt, torso and head as they would appear lit from this direction (somewhere on the upper left of the picture). Added contrast immediately adds interest to the whole drawing. I also made her skin much more saturated, which is something you usually want to do, because blood makes our bodies warm in colour. (If she's a vampire or something, you can drop the saturation a bit, but she looked very flat with the pale tone you used).

I noticed you know that putting a bit of a neighbouring colour in a thing you're painting makes the picture more alive. I emphasized it even more in her clothes and especially in her hair, where I dropped a bit of the saturated color of her face. Your colours aren't bad, they're just failing because they're flat, because the values of light and shadow are quite close. As I said, studying photos would help with grasping how forms and light work, I think.

fg.PNG
sketchbook
I believe in reciprocity in regards to constructive criticism in sketchbooks.
(In other words, tell me what you think about mine and I will most likely visit yours and do the same)

Postby chenrsf » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 pm

chenrsf

Thank you for the critique, it was very helpful. I'll try to study some photos as you mentioned ^^
also I'm still in the process of improving my anatomy, but I can definitely see the issue with the drawing now.

Postby snisetski » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:58 pm

snisetski

The piece is too desaturated. Maybe add some saturation to the parts you want the viewer to focus at?

Return to Critique This!