Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby TheSpah » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:58 am

TheSpah

Subject title: Critique drawing of apple.

http://imgur.com/a/kT3vj

https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2013/05/31/~/media/ECG/visualstudiomagazine/Images/introimages/VSMClonePattern.ashx

I gave a link in case the image didnt showed up, I dont know how to use it.

Please critique! I didnt really wanted to copy the shape perfectly, just the values.

Postby Ab Captain » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 am

Ab Captain

Looks pretty good! I don't see any issues in terms of values.
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby biosphere » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 am

biosphere

Values are too light in your painting. Red is a very deceptive color. Although not as dark as blue, it's actually quite dark in value when it is fully saturated.
If we just turn on a black and white filter on your reference it ends up like this.
150157193272788.jpg

You can get a similar effect by squinting very hard. I know it feels like it doesn't make much sense at first, but you wouldn't get those big clear highlights on something that was very light in value.
Another thing is what kind of picture it is you're working from. This picture looks heavily manipulated in some sort of photo editing software like photoshop. I mean, the bottom shadow looks extremely suspicious, it's just too black.
Another issue would be the background as well, which always affects the values of anything else in the picture. White backgrounds are just a pain in the ass. Nothing in nature apart from a room some humans painted white, will ever be white. And even a room painted white by humans will not be so blindingly white.
Choosing your reference is kinda tricky, which is why so many people recommend just making your own still-lives IRL.

That said. Great detail work. The leaf in particular is very meticulously rendered and the values comparative to each other are quite decent. You could possibly work more on either more deliberate strokes or softer edges on plane transition and harder edges on .. well.. outside edges. Good job!

Return to Critique This!