Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Bishop » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Bishop

Subject title: Need Critique On WIP Portrait Piece

hey guys, this is my wip piece, and i would love some cc on my value mainly as it my biggest weakness, i wanted to work on it a bit more but its 5AM in the morning and my eyes is killing me :(

korean girl 2 sycra.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am

Ambiguity

The shapes and values are off, both of which are pretty major to getting a likeness. The eyes are also a tad too far apart. I think at this point I'd pull back a bit to the drawing and really focus on those angles of the shapes, and then homogenize the light and shadow groups more before worrying about the gradations and subtleties.

Postby naundeeey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:55 pm

naundeeey

If you went for realism I'd say that facial structure is a bigger offender than values in this image.
If, however, this is a style you're going for here, maybe lighten the lower lip a little. Also darken the hair.

Postby Alpacky » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Alpacky

Eyes are to far apart, and mouth too low down. from what i can see. otherwise the other crits are complete and i back them up :P
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Alpacky » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Alpacky

Eyes are to far apart, and mouth too low down. from what i can see. otherwise the other crits are complete and i back them up :P
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Bishop » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Bishop

Ambiguity wrote:The shapes and values are off, both of which are pretty major to getting a likeness. The eyes are also a tad too far apart. I think at this point I'd pull back a bit to the drawing and really focus on those angles of the shapes, and then homogenize the light and shadow groups more before worrying about the gradations and subtleties.

hey dude thx for the cc, i try to fix those problem you mention, what do you think?

korean girl ver2.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 am

Ambiguity

That's definitely an improvement over what you had, but I think there is still more work to be done along the lines of what I've already talked about.

I did a paintover and made a gif to hopefully show you better:

Return to Critique This!