Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SlimRock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

SlimRock

Subject title: Chronicle

This is the Chronicle.
She is another character I'm working on for the Artstation challenge. Any crits or comments are welcome :) .
If you wish to follow the progress, you can check it out here https://www.artstation.com/artist/muk1r1/challenges
Chronicle z.jpg

Postby Ab Captain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Ab Captain

The main thing that stood out to me is the facial construction, Her left side and mouth work together great but her right side throws it off, I traced the head and drew a face based on the way the head was turned. I did a sh*t job capturing the character though, ignore the way I did the lips too, I think they work fine on yours.
Face Critsc.jpg

I think the costume is very good in terms of form, since you do appear to be thinking about 3D shapes and how they turn in space. The gesture is pretty good, it feels natural and her expression is very nice.
Compositionally, your movement leading into the face is nice, especially your use of an 's' curve in the head-tail (The head tail is a very cool idea in my opinion). Although, I don't understand the grey band across the middle of the composition (I'm probably missing something).
Also, good work on varied the shape sizes! Although, I would suggest pushing that further.
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby Ab Captain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Ab Captain

I did a paint-over to demonstrate how the left side of her face works but the right is the area of concern.
Painted Redo Chron up.jpg
I think mine still doesn't have the same attitude as yours.

Painted Redo Chron upo.jpg
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby SlimRock » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:28 am

SlimRock

Thanks Ab Captain. I much appreciate the feedback and the overpaint.
I can def see the difference. i'll try and rectify that asap.
Ab Captain wrote:I did a paint-over to demonstrate how the left side of her face works but the right is the area of concern.

Return to Critique This!