Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby naundeeey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:13 pm

naundeeey

Subject title: Critiques welcome - finished painting

I'd like to hear some critiques on my recent image please, on anything, be it anatomy, composition, perspective, but especially values since they bothered me the most.

Postby behxmot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:50 pm

behxmot

can you say how much time did you spend on it? It looks crisp and finished. Only areas that look off to me are her left thigh (left for her), and that cloud behind her, it's distracting, I guess it means values?

that's a good Toph. Toph forever
Last edited by behxmot on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Postby Josephcow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Josephcow

Love it! could you lighten the cloud in the background? I mean it's a nice cloud but it's kind of distracting. I really just mean make the shadow side of the cloud closer to the sky color.

Postby Mandilor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 am

Mandilor

You have a bit of an odd comp with your values because of how she is lit plus the cloud that's right behind her. They're both fairly high contrast but I'd say the cloud is even more contrasty which is making it more of a focal point than Toph is.

The fixes I'd recommend are make everything in the foreground darker than everything in the background. I'd probably put the mountains on their own mid ground value range. The over all value of the sky feels about right as for a dusk time of day. Work mostly on making the foreground darker.

This is a bit tricky to do and skin is naturally quite light so its tricky to separate the light clouds from the light skin in a way that's satisfying.

After that I'd soften the cloud out so Toph's well defined forms and sharp edges contrast with the soft abstractness of the cloud.

I think her colors should be more saturated, especially her skin. It's looking a little dead compared to those hot pinks.

The color on her outfit is looking a little monochrome, maybe add some subtle variations.

The sky is looking flat in the upper left corner. Remember the sky has a gradient to it throughout the entire sphere.

It doesn't make sense that she has a cast shadow under her. She will have some occlusion shadows and the areas closest to her will be darker than the areas further away that are lit more by the sky. But the sun isn't going to create a cast shadow in this lighting set up.

I did a quick paint over for you. Hope it gives you some ideas on how you want to go from here or things to look out for in the future.

Return to Critique This!