Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby gricc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:25 am

gricc

Subject title: Values and Rendering

I really haven't painted much at all, probably only 4 times in total and I really don't understand how to render anything so everything I paint always looks unfinished, also I think I understand values but I'm not totally sure so instead of a normal skin tone I tried challenging myself with these bright red/pink colors, I don't even know if that really makes anything a worthy challenge but it was fun anyway. Critique away!
IMG_1214.JPG
Sinix 2.0

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Audiazif

I think the issue here is lack of lighting and contrast. You need to figure out how you want to light it and when you do light it you need to make noticeable value shifts. In my paint over I chose a top front lighting situation, the lighting can be anything really as long as there is some lighting cues. With some simple value shapes it reads much better. It might not be 100% accurate to life but it still has the lighting cues that read "face". I would look at reference or life to learn the value shape of different lighting situations.

Color is secondary to value, in most cases, but still can play an important role in creating contrast. You could implement hue shifting to make things look nicer because in reality colors will shift. Red is challenging because at full saturation its inherent value is about mid value. If you try to make it lighter or darker it loses saturation which limits what you can do. That is where hue shifting helps. If you want to go lighter you shift it closer to yellow and if you want to go darker you shift it towards purple because the inherent values of orange and yellow can be lighter than mid value and the inherent value of purple is darker than mid value. In the paint over I only hue shifted the highlights because I had too. If I didn't they would not have the punch they need.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby gricc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:41 pm

gricc

Thank you so much Audiazif, I don't even know what to say! But I'll definitely apply more contrast the next time I paint,and again, thank you!
Sinix 2.0

Postby gricc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 am

gricc

I think I did better this time, I tried doing the red-ish skin tone again this time. Let me know if I got it down this time!
summerr.jpg
Sinix 2.0

Postby gricc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:39 am

gricc

Today I painted this character right here, and I believe I got the values right and shading, but I'm not sure if the colors are boring or dull. Let me know whats up!
yellow black.jpg
Sinix 2.0

Return to Critique This!