Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby TheTCcat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:18 am

TheTCcat

Subject title: Hey, im 11 lol

Hey, I'm 11, (yes, I am squeaky) and I am attempting to start making digital art. this is not perfect, but one of my better pieces. I hope something can be done with it to make it look decent and so some of the larger issues can be pointed out. :D

http://imgur.com/a/AyVPd
TheTCcat

Postby Josephcow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 am

Josephcow

Not bad! probably better than a lot of my first digital pieces actually (and mine were at like 16 haha).

the armour is reading as metal, which is good. Something you should start to think about is location of the light source. It's not just where you put the sun on your canvas. That only gives you information about location in 2 dimensions. it's where is the light source in three dimensions.

In this illustration I try to show how the light in all three cases is coming from "top right". Yet they all look different. That's because one ball is lit from the front, one directly from the side, and one from behind. Your light source in your painting (the sun) is behind the character. it's like the ball on the bottom, but you painted it like the ball on the right.

I hope this makes sense. It might not. But it takes most people a very long time to figure this out, and if you can start thinking beyond the 2 dimensional canvas now you will quickly improve. Generally though, lighting is the thing to work on. And sycra has a playlist called 'fundamentals of light and shadow' which is really good if you haven't found that already.
Untitled-2.jpg

Postby TheTCcat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 am

TheTCcat

thanks a lot, it's nice to see people who, instead of bashing me for my age, or just flat out saying I suck, actually help me improve. I've been drawing since an (even younger) age, and have never paid attention to these types of things. thanks for the feedback, and I'll be sure to consider it the next time I paint or draw any picture where this applies.

again, thanks a lot!
TheTCcat

Postby Josephcow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Josephcow

anytime! and haters gonna hate, right?

Postby gricc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:36 am

gricc

TheTCcat wrote:thanks a lot, it's nice to see people who, instead of bashing me for my age, or just flat out saying I suck, actually help me improve. I've been drawing since an (even younger) age, and have never paid attention to these types of things. thanks for the feedback, and I'll be sure to consider it the next time I paint or draw any picture where this applies.

again, thanks a lot!

Just in my opinion, I think it's amazing that you're such a young artist, no matter the skill level!
Sinix 2.0

Return to Critique This!