Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby eremo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:59 am

eremo

Subject title: AI Robot Child Concept Critique.

Hello everyone.

First.

I would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you.

1p.jpg

Postby Ab Captain » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:28 am

Ab Captain

In terms of 'concept art' etc. Robot child is a very nebulous concept to fill (e.g. What time period does it exist in? What is it's purpose? Where does it live? etc). A more directed character description would be better. Although your design definitely has readability to it, anyone could definitely glean the 'robot child' concept from your drawing. The need for a more specific description comes in when you have this robot running around in irrelevant clothing and accessories (at least in terms of the description you've given), I see this design as a scavenger like, desert/tundra dwelling machine. So having a more specific idea helps when your present an image for critique or begin designing.

I would say the design itself is quite good, I simultaneously glean innocent and mechanistic qualities from your design. You might want to play around with it's proportions to accentuate certain qualities about it, if you wanted a more toddler/baby like aesthetic: give it more infantile proportions. Although you could very well want to illustrate a more mature child.

Also, more shape size difference (Large shapes, medium shapes and small shapes) in the details of the limbs would make a more appealing design.

Overall, I think you did well with designing a unique, childlike character.
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Postby eremo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:41 am

eremo

Ab Captain wrote:In terms of 'concept art' etc. Robot child is a very nebulous concept to fill (e.g. What time period does it exist in? What is it's purpose? Where does it live? etc). A more directed character description would be better. Although your design definitely has readability to it, anyone could definitely glean the 'robot child' concept from your drawing. The need for a more specific description comes in when you have this robot running around in irrelevant clothing and accessories (at least in terms of the description you've given), I see this design as a scavenger like, desert/tundra dwelling machine. So having a more specific idea helps when your present an image for critique or begin designing.

I would say the design itself is quite good, I simultaneously glean innocent and mechanistic qualities from your design. You might want to play around with it's proportions to accentuate certain qualities about it, if you wanted a more toddler/baby like aesthetic: give it more infantile proportions. Although you could very well want to illustrate a more mature child.

Also, more shape size difference (Large shapes, medium shapes and small shapes) in the details of the limbs would make a more appealing design.

Overall, I think you did well with designing a unique, childlike character.

Thank you for the insigh Captain.

I'm glad that it reads as a scavenger robot child to you as that what I was aiming for.

I particularly agree on your thoughts on bringing more shape size difference to make for a more appealing design.

Thanks again!

Postby Ab Captain » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 am

Ab Captain

eremo wrote:Thank you for the insigh Captain.

I'm glad that it reads as a scavenger robot child to you as that what I was aiming for.

I particularly agree on your thoughts on bringing more shape size difference to make for a more appealing design.

Thanks again!

No problem! I'm keen to see more of your designs!
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Return to Critique This!