Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:16 pm

UnorthodoxThing

Subject title: Establishing a Summer feel and need landscape drawing advice

I'm just gonna say it, my landscape is kinda flat. :(

I wanted to try and get an outdoors look. Are the trees and shrubs too much? Should I lower my horizon? I'm using the Third by third rule, but I'm not sure if I done it right. Is my problem in the values? Feedbacks appreciated~
Summer Lesson2.3.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby gricc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:44 am

gricc

im not familiar with landscapes, but I think for a summer feel a lot of god rays and shine with crystal blue skies and clouds would be a nice summer, and lots of water and foliage
Sinix 2.0

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:47 pm

UnorthodoxThing

Thanks for the tip!

I tried grey scaling my work and establish background white to forground black. The foliage was a nice thought I wouldn't have think of. However, i wasn't sure howw to put more water. Maybe a hose would be nice. I'm just not sure where to place it.

I've made a little more progress. I can't tell if the people are authentic since I wanteed to do a hybrid between semi-realism and manga-style. I don't think they blend with the landscape well either.
Summer Lesson2.5.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby gricc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:59 pm

gricc

Good job! Definitely better than before! But if you want to improve on your painting I suggest you study James gurney, he's amazing
Sinix 2.0

Postby californiaRoll » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 pm

californiaRoll

I know you asked for landscape advice, but the face of the girl on the left is noticeably smushed downwards; particularly her eye sockets.
That's not summer, that's bummer.

Return to Critique This!