Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Dicenete » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Dicenete

Subject title: Stylized painting

This is my first post on this side of the forum.
I have wanted to find way to draw stylized characters with my twist and without it taking too long time to paint. But as more simple I go, more I feel like I have to make important choices.
I would love some feedback on how I could make my paintings more appealing, if there is some anatomical errors or just things I should improve upon.

I think there might be something wrong with her shoulders, but I can't quite pinpoint the problem.

pinup_small.jpg
My sketchbook http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87223

Visit my DeviantArt, and feedback would be lovely!

DeviantArt http://dicenete.deviantart.com/

Concept Artist (or so I think) at an indie game studio.

Postby OwlenArt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 pm

OwlenArt

Your rendering appears to be pretty much on point. The weakness of this painting appears to be proportion. As it is, the lower body is too small, compared to the upper part of it, especially with how well defined and almost masculine her shoulders are. (Personally I dig the aesthetic but for a more traditionally female approach you might want to define the muscles a bit less sharply.)

That's pretty much it really, lower body to small compared to upper body. Also there is a slight issue with the hand gesture, as the supporting hand appears a bit too twisty and sort of distracts the eye, but other than that, I am jelly of the rendering skill.

Postby Alpacamood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Alpacamood

aight so i think this image is pretty cute, but the top looks way more developed compared to the bottom of your character. idk if you used reference for this but the whole bottom looks weird and out of perspective. i didn't catch this doing my draw over but the foot is also in a weird position, i dont think it's actually possible to lay your foot that flat on that side (idk for anyone else but i couldn't do it comfortably). also the shoulders felt a little too far forward. i really like the hand holding the hair, it's really nice lookin. the one holding her weight is kinda weird, maybe just draw it laying flat? you could say the hips are supposed to be small but when sitting like that things get a little squishy in the thigh/ butt area. i know i kinda over did it in my drawing but the point is the way you had it kinda makes her look top heavy and not in a deliberate way. finally, i think the eyes are a little too high, but maybe thats just a taste thing... idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i think you can make this painting look really good if you fix the structural issues, good luck!
dicenete image critique.png

Postby Spider » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

Spider

the head and the body look different colors to me. like the head is more yellow and peach hues, and the body looks like it has redder pinker hues.

Postby Dicenete » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Dicenete

Alpacamood wrote:aight so i think this image is pretty cute, but the top looks way more developed compared to the bottom of your character. idk if you used reference for this but the whole bottom looks weird and out of perspective. i didn't catch this doing my draw over but the foot is also in a weird position, i dont think it's actually possible to lay your foot that flat on that side (idk for anyone else but i couldn't do it comfortably). also the shoulders felt a little too far forward. i really like the hand holding the hair, it's really nice lookin. the one holding her weight is kinda weird, maybe just draw it laying flat? you could say the hips are supposed to be small but when sitting like that things get a little squishy in the thigh/ butt area. i know i kinda over did it in my drawing but the point is the way you had it kinda makes her look top heavy and not in a deliberate way. finally, i think the eyes are a little too high, but maybe thats just a taste thing... idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i think you can make this painting look really good if you fix the structural issues, good luck!

Spider wrote:the head and the body look different colors to me. like the head is more yellow and peach hues, and the body looks like it has redder pinker hues.

Thank you for your feedback! I will do some repainting and I hope to fix these problems! :D This is very motivating!

Postby arodude » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 pm

arodude

I like your rendering, it's really neat and has a nice range of values. The angle of the arm looks a bit unnatural. For the hand to be in that position the arm would have to show less elbow and look like the arm in this pose. It might be helpful to doing poses in mirrors yourself to get a feel of the anatomy next time.

Postby z4m97 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:13 pm

z4m97

okay, let's get straight to the point :D

i did a repaint to show you how you can simplify the imagination painting process:

1st, have a solid sketch, you really need to be thinking about hose you will be painting it and it's place in space..

2nd, then fill it in with a distinct tone

3rd turn that distinct tone into the object's "true tone" i used a single tone for the whole subject, but you can use as many as you want, depending on what you're painting.

4th calculate where the shadows will be considering your lightsource, avoid any halftone or blurriness, just hard shadows, if it's very soft light you will use very little shadows, but still, try and simplify it into JUST hard shadows.

5th start working on the edges, make things softer or leave them hard, working with the shadows you lay down in the previous step

6th now you start working in the half tones, anything going away from the light will start to get into halftones. keep in mind tone compression as well.

7th add occlussion shadows and reflected light but beware not to go too dark/light on either one of them...

8th add some highlights to make it pop, do it sparingly tho, the more you do it the less natural it looks.

and finally just work with your background to add a bit more ontrast, but this has more to do with personal taste :D

as far as color goes, you can pretty much do whatever as long as you keep your values in the right place, so id say focus on that first

anyway, that's what i have to say, hope it helped, and keep smiling :D

Postby Dicenete » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 am

Dicenete

arodude wrote:I like your rendering, it's really neat and has a nice range of values. The angle of the arm looks a bit unnatural. For the hand to be in that position the arm would have to show less elbow and look like the arm in this pose. It might be helpful to doing poses in mirrors yourself to get a feel of the anatomy next time.

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I noticed that now that I have looked at the picture after some break. I tried to repaint the hand and the arm, but right now I might be too blind for it. I might do the pose again, probably get a reference picture of myself for it. :D

pinup_repaint.jpg

z4m97 wrote:okay, let's get straight to the point :D

i did a repaint to show you how you can simplify the imagination painting process:

1st, have a solid sketch, you really need to be thinking about hose you will be painting it and it's place in space..

2nd, then fill it in with a distinct tone

3rd turn that distinct tone into the object's "true tone" i used a single tone for the whole subject, but you can use as many as you want, depending on what you're painting.

4th calculate where the shadows will be considering your lightsource, avoid any halftone or blurriness, just hard shadows, if it's very soft light you will use very little shadows, but still, try and simplify it into JUST hard shadows.

5th start working on the edges, make things softer or leave them hard, working with the shadows you lay down in the previous step

6th now you start working in the half tones, anything going away from the light will start to get into halftones. keep in mind tone compression as well.

7th add occlussion shadows and reflected light but beware not to go too dark/light on either one of them...

8th add some highlights to make it pop, do it sparingly tho, the more you do it the less natural it looks.

and finally just work with your background to add a bit more ontrast, but this has more to do with personal taste :D

as far as color goes, you can pretty much do whatever as long as you keep your values in the right place, so id say focus on that first

anyway, that's what i have to say, hope it helped, and keep smiling :D

Thank you for the effort, seriously I was surprised :D Love the way people give here constructive and helpful feedback.
This actually helped me to pinpoint some problems with my paintings in general, I should do more form studies. I actually made one with reference for the pose, but I tried to figure out different kind of lighting for it. I'm not sure if I should have more sharp edges or more contrast...
I used this picture from senshistock as a reference
punip_pile.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 am

Josephcow

What you did in the first two steps is awesome. Except the shadow on the umbrella would be further back i think, and the back of the dress would all be in shadow. And don't try to do anything fancy on the back arm. Just let it be in all in shadow. and the shadow on the ground would point away from us, not toward. And I wouldn't put those lines in between the folds of the dress. It implies a crease, but it's really just a big plane change from one part of the skirt to another. But those are all little things, you have exactly the right idea.

But then between step two and three you went wrong, to be perfectly honest. You moved where the shadows were! This only works if you stick to the lighting that you choose at the beginning. It seems like it's not a big deal, but when you move the shadows, you also change the position of the sun! Of course you can adjust things, but try to figure all that out in the second step. You modeled too much all over, and lost the integrity of the shadow shape. Soften the edges between things, but not a huge gradation. And remember what z4m97 said about not highlighting too much. Still definitely the right idea though.

Return to Critique This!