Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Hydorah » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 am

Hydorah

Subject title: Applying studies?

This is my Sargent study. Just wanted to get down the main colors and shades.

So it's good enough. Whatever. Now I gotta apply what I've learned, right?

Not even close. It's god damn hideous. How to properly "apply" these studies beyond copying them first and referencing them later?

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:36 am

Josephcow

Well the big difference I see between the study, and your own work is the treatment of the shadows. Look at the clear, dark shapes of shadow on the sargent piece.
Even though you've got the proper color on your pallette. You opted to use a very light color for the shadows which blends right in with the midtone. Sargent very nearly always has a distinct separation of light and shadow. You might study a few of his works again with this in mind.
Photoshop_2017-07-204_22-20-19.png

Postby Phi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:28 am

Phi

And try to get those red hues in there, especially in the cheek and nose area. It will help breathe life into your subject.

Postby perkexpert » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 pm

perkexpert

After the study you should be able to answer questions about the problems sargent tackled and solutions sargent found for his portrait. In your case you might just have copied it, but failed to think of the "why". As Joseph already mentioned, sargent uses a distinct value structure and clear silhuette for his portrait. Notably is also the use of rather saturated reds and browns as skintones and in the halftones, distinct, controlled and minimalistic brushwork. So all this should be found to some degree in a piece you might want to do in the "style" of the sargent portrait.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Return to Critique This!