Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby goago » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:50 pm

goago

Subject title: photo portrait study

So hi its me again, been a while since my last post.. after only drawing for a long time i kinda want to get into rendering so i tried to do a photo study for basically the first time..
i know that there are a lot of issues (hair, skin tone a bit too dark) but there might be some mistakes that I didnt notice. Also i didnt want to spend too much time on it since its just a study. I used the color picker a few times to help me. Is that an absolute no go? or should i do it to check my values?
study.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 am

Josephcow

Should you use the eyedropper? hmmmm. Well what i am about to say will likely be unpopular but YES..... if you want. I really makes no difference whatsoever. If you used the eyedropper on every square centimeter and proceeded to fill in the image like a patchwork, or paint by numbers, you will learn nothing except what values exist in the image in terms of photoshop value percentages. However, if you proceed the same way blindly, without using the tool, you will learn just as little, so it really doesn't matter if you use it or not.

Here is why, in my opinion.

When people say "your values are off" or "check your values!" "area x ought to be a lighter value" what they are telling you is not that you've made the background value 45 but it really ought to be value 55. The actual value something is is completely irrelevant. Rather what is important is the relationship of values in the picture to each other. You could do a painting of a photo and have every single value be 'incorrect' and still have a brilliant picture. You could match every value perfectly --as many spend hours doing -- and end up with rubbish.

The key is thinking in relationships, and large masses. Don't go patch by patch and try to match it to the picture. Block in general areas of value and try to get the in the correct relationship to each other. Go plane by plane, not patch by patch. By plane I mean plane of the head in 3 dimensions. If you are not thinking in three dimensions, you will never learn the skill of creating the illusion of three dimensions. And that's really what this study is about. Learning something, not copying.

TLDR; Value is not absolute. The relationship between values is what matters.
stu3dy.jpg
Values stated first as separation between light and dark. Then as smaller planes.

Postby goago » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:00 pm

goago

Thanks a ton for ur reply and ur thoughts about this subject. From now on i will definitely to think more in 3 dimensions about relationships and about planes.

Return to Critique This!