Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby OwlenArt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:36 pm

OwlenArt

Subject title: Color choice and refinement.

Hello,

I've recently identified a few issues which seem to persist whenever I try to finish a piece. It would be great if someone who has more experience could share some insight.

I am mostly interested in what colors people tend to pick in relation to the base skin tone and also what steps people take to finalize a piece to make it look clean. Is the unfinished looking state of my drawings a result of me being sloppy and not giving it enough cleanup or am I missing something else?
General critique is of course also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Yellow dress version
Spoiler: show

Postby Audiazif » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:45 am

Audiazif

Everything is too warm. This could be contributing to the unfinished feeling, the colors don't separate enough from one another and it feels like an underpainting. It is hard for me to tell specific things you can improve on because color is subjective. I tweaked the colors to where I think they are working better together but that is not to say other color combos will work. Color is more of an intuitive thing for me so I can't say why I think these colors work. I think the best thing for you to do is go wild and experiment. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and try things. However I would look into maybe trying to figure out way you made this so warm (could be a monitor thing?).

OwlenArt wrote:Is the unfinished looking state of my drawings a result of me being sloppy and not giving it enough cleanup or am I missing something else?

I think there is a little sloppiness in this piece that is making it seem less refined. I can see the the places where you picked up your pen and started the next line. Also the long curving lines are a little lumpy. Practice making smooth, long, and flowing lines. Try to strive for as little breaks in a long line, make as few strokes as you can.

The drawing is actually very nice. It is just a little rough in some areas. One last thing I would say is to work on your hands. A well drawn face and body will not make up for poorly done hands (not saying they are that bad just can see it looks like you struggled with them).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby perkexpert » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm

perkexpert

I think there is nothing wrong with the drawing...i think for a more finished look you might reconsider your lighting and thus values. The whole picture is extremely light and there is little contrast. You might also go for more saturation in the shadows. I made an rough overpaint with some direct lighting from the top left and some overly saturated shadows as well as some background darkening to pop the silhuette more. Happy Painting!
overpaint.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby OwlenArt » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 pm

OwlenArt

Oh hey, both those posts were actually pretty insightful, thanks a lot!

I think I can do quite a bit of studying just based on that!

Return to Critique This!