Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby LiamArt » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:20 pm

LiamArt

Subject title: Criticize my movieposter?

Hi! Thanks for reading this! At the moment I'm creating a series of movieposters like the one you'll find beneath. I'm just really curious about your opinion on this piece. Please let me know what you guys think of it - critics mean an awful lot to me! ;) (By the way, there's a close-up beneath the full poster)
test.png
close-up.png

Postby Alpacky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 am

Alpacky

theres way too much going on.
First things first - remove the text box and quote. In a movie theater or on a street you would have to walk up to it to read it and it draws too much attention.
Whats powerful about the original jaws poster, is that it speaks to what the movie is about, its a massive shark, reaking havoc on society. Big shark, woman swimming.
If i didnt know better I would think this movie was about a couple men stranded on a raft they made out of found materials.
The shark should be the focus of the image. I dont know why you chose to design a jaws cover, especially. The cover/poster for jaws is so memorable, that, I only seeing it a few times, remember what it looks like enough to critique it for you. Thats the goal of a poster, memorability. Whats the movie about, and whats it called, so people know what ticket to buy.
If I was to be %100 honest, the only way to fix this to SOME degree, would be: Remove all the other fish in the ocean, we dont see many fish in the movie, they arent important, too much clutter.
The shark is the focus make it WAYYY bigger. Remove the text bubble, simplify OR remove the clouds. Shrink the boat.
Now, it starts to look like the original jaws poster. But that is because the original jaws poster is a near perfect design. BUT only from the ANGLE you chose. That too is important. You copied the angle of the original poster, half and half water sky (in the poster if I recall its actually like 3/4 water and 1/4 sky but whatever. You took the original poster design, and removed all of the professional design philosophys.

BUT WAIT HOLD ON.
The drawing is very nice, very clean it would be QUITE a good ILLUSTRATION.
You wanted to make a movie poster, fine, but is that really what you want to do? Design? It seems like cartoony illustrations are where you should be headed.

Post is again if you want, without all the text, and crop it a bit, and ill critique it as a pretty darn good clean cartoon drawing, rather than an incredibly flawed movie poster.
If your dream is to make movie poster... you have alot to work on, its not a bad illustration by any means, but as a poster? :/
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Alpacky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:26 am

Alpacky

Hold on, Just saw the second image. YES!
If you include the shark, but maybe make it bigger and more menacing, it would be better than I could do in terms of modern, clean linework and such.
So keep that up. Forget the text stuff.
In the illustration, the speech bubble works, aswell
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby LiamArt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm

LiamArt

Thanks Alpacky, for your sincere replies!
Maybe because it's the first 'movieposter' that I've ever drawn, it might indeed not serve well as a movieposter. . I'm actually a bit experimenting at the moment, not sure where to go from this point on. The idea that I'm trying to work out right now is to create a series of these illustrations (or movieposters) of movies, each containing a volkswagen van (just because it's a fun car ;)). My initial idea was to create a series of movieposters and create art prints of those, but perhaps illustrations would be more appealing.
And you're right about the fact that it's nowhere near the brilliancy of the original movieposter. But that's not really what I intented to do. Mine needs to serve more as fanart for those people that have seen the movie already. The reason why I put in all the details is because of the fact that I, for myself, want something that someone can keep staring at while still discovering new, funny details.

Nonetheless, quite recently I in fact already tried to change the movieposter in more of an illustration-ish piece, you'll find it beneath. Please let me know what you think!
booktest.png

Return to Critique This!