Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snisetski » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:02 pm

snisetski

Subject title: My first time doing this!!?

I tried to do a value study and paint a REAL human. I've realized trying to learn to draw in anime style will never get me anywhere if I really want to be an artist. I was told to learn to draw from real life first. Please critique this! I really need your help. I wasn't trying to literally photocopy it or anything but I want to know what you think!
IMG_3345.JPG

Postby Spider » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Spider

I'd say you went to dark with your values in some places, especially the lips and hair. The nose looks a little too shaded on the sides too.

Postby naundeeey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:07 pm

naundeeey

The thing that bugs me personally the most are the flat looking eyes.

You were probably going for something similar to Ilya Kushinov, I guess? His eyes might be stylized yet they still have 3D form to them.

Postby snisetski » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:44 am

snisetski

naundeeey wrote:The thing that bugs me personally the most are the flat looking eyes.

You were probably going for something similar to Ilya Kushinov, I guess? His eyes might be stylized yet they still have 3D form to them.

How do I make the eyes not flat?

Postby snisetski » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:44 am

snisetski

Spider wrote:I'd say you went to dark with your values in some places, especially the lips and hair. The nose looks a little too shaded on the sides too.

Yeah, you're right

Postby Engell79 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 am

Engell79

You've spend time on it and it deffinatly shows,

i dont persive visually any big hicups with your values or choices of shading/light.

I think many of the form/coherency/matchings left and right side - issues, could be solved
spending more time on the undersketch,before painting.

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:33 pm

z4m97

snisetski wrote:
naundeeey wrote:The thing that bugs me personally the most are the flat looking eyes.

by thinking of them as spheres inside the socket, not just an iconic eye...

Postby snisetski » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm

snisetski

z4m97 wrote:
snisetski wrote:

by thinking of them as spheres inside the socket, not just an iconic eye...

Oh yes you told me that before! I did another study where I thought of the eyes as balls inside a socket. I'm so sorry, I was too caught up with the entire image rather than focusing on the stuff that matters. I keep making the same mistakes, I really need to practice more. It sometimes feels like my posts can get annoying since I repeat my mistakes. I'm extremely sorry about that (ノ_<)
IMG_3485.JPG

Postby snisetski » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm

snisetski

Engell79 wrote:You've spend time on it and it deffinatly shows,

i dont persive visually any big hicups with your values or choices of shading/light.

I think many of the form/coherency/matchings left and right side - issues, could be solved
spending more time on the undersketch,before painting.

Ahh alrighty! I'll keep that in mind

Return to Critique This!