Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby poofyturtle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:08 am

poofyturtle

Subject title: Composition Critique

I've been finding the time to draw again and during one of my D&D campaigns, a baby Thunder-beast pulled my team's ghostly ship back to our city. Regardless, I decided to take my hand at recreating that scene and this is the result. I'm most curious about how the composition is. Its one of the things I struggle with and it takes me days of tinkering till I find something I'm satisfied with. If there's anything else that needs work, feel free to critique that as well.
The creature was described as something between the cross of a buffalo and a rhino, the size of a Clydesdale. Its supposed to be late fall, early winter time.

Thank You :D
1.jpg

Postby lilla » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:34 pm

lilla

I feel like composition is one of the hardest things to critisize because it's very choice and story-driven but I'm going to try and analyze yours. So, first of all, everything has to have a purpose in terms of composition. Why did you choose a portrait layout? It doesn't seem to focus on the creature alone but more on a scene, in which case landscape format is more appropriate, 16:9 is a good standard ratio. There is an awkward tangent between the branch and the ship, which should be avoided as much as possible. If you want to create an arch around the creature the emphasize it there are more subtle ways to do that. Then, I don't know why the ship is above the cow, it feels wrong from a perspective point of view, like the horizon line is way too up, at the same time, it creates a feeling as if the ship is chasing the creature, but the creature has a peaceful expression, dunno, I think you wanted to fit into the canvas but since it's portrait, it didn't have space...? Then the saturation on the ship is way too high, for something that is in the background. To stand out, it really doesn't need that much, it would be enough to create some mist around it for example and make the colours much more subtle. As things recede into the background they become gradually de-saturated, usually.
Then, you can add elements like branches to create a focus, I did it very sloppily and surely you can find more elements that illustrate your story, just make sure they create a nice flow around the canvas! I hope this helps... I might be completely wrong about your intentions with the piece, maybe you wanted the piece to be more about the ship for example, what is important is the clarity either way, and that it reads very easily... Good luck! :)
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby poofyturtle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:47 pm

poofyturtle

I forgot to mention it was an airship and the creature is pulling it, as the ship has no sails and would have just drifted off in no particular direction. I really like the landscape orientation though! It didn't occur to me to lengthen the picture. Thank you so much for the help!

Return to Critique This!