Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SlimRock » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am

SlimRock

Subject title: Imaginary Portrait. Crits Welcome.

Its been a while since I tried working on an imaginary portrait. What do you guys think. Critiques and suggestions are welcome.
Portrait.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Audiazif

Like always your paint and color work is outstanding. That being said this falls short in perspective and alignment. The main issue above all is that you are showing too much of the far side of the face and even the body. People have a tendency to do this and it takes a conscious effort to not do it. For some reason the mind wants to pull things toward a "front view" and it is hard to believe how much the far side of things are hidden and compressed/foreshortened. I was only able to somewhat fix the face because all that was needed was to shift the feature around a bit. I diminished the far side of the face, shifted the closer eye a little, and tweaked the ear and jaw. The body on the other hand I think would need more than just the liquefy tool to fix it. Like the face there is too much of the far side showing. There is also the lack of structure. It is like you had the head and the huge breast and then tried to connect them with no idea of what was between them. I would try to learn the structures and forms of the neck, shoulders, and clavicle area because that is what is lacking in this piece.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby z4m97 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 pm

z4m97

hello!
first of all, that is a great attempt! i love the colors and the expression! also, the texture is lovely, subtle enough to avoid looking grainy, but strong enough to give that skin look; awesome!

i do have some concerns with it tho, specially regarding the structure of the head, so im gonna focus on that.

first of all, head construction:

now, while all the colors look beautiful, once we turn to grayscale, i hope you can see the problems. the form is really hard to read, especially because everything in the left side of the face (our left, her right) is so close together in tone, making it hard to read the plane changes.

i'd suggest to start with a very basic head construction sketch, focusing on the forms to keep perspective and proportion.

after that, we try and guess our lightsource, following your image, i guess the lightsource is some sort of soft-ish light coming from down left and a little bit towards the front

now that we have done all the prep work, its time to start rendering, try and feel the volumes and dont worry about the edges at first, and then, slowly polish it up, trying to feel how forms turn in space.

once the face s done, we can add the hair, i must admit, im not very good at hair myself, so this is my best guess:

I do have something to say about this step tho, and that is about the hair jewlery: you made it seem really reflective, and while you did use very high highlights, remember that highly reflective objects are: highly reflective; they're basically oddly shaped mirrors, so consider your background and remember that what the object is reflecting depends on it's form, so as it curves around the head it will go from reflecting the ceiling to reflect the ground and the lightsource...

here im just pumping up the highlights a little bit and making the head pop up with the same background that you used:

and finally, the reason why i say that tone is the most important part of a rendering, is because later on you can mess around with color as much as you want, but it will still look believable:

granted, the colored version doesnt really look that great since its just the lazy "multiply" layer used in a very lazy way xD but you get the point.

anyway. i hope this helped and keep smiling :D

Postby SlimRock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:56 am

SlimRock

Wow guys. I didn't expect such a great response in feedback, but you guys came through as always.
Its so Awesome to see other artists tackle your piece and do overpaints. I can see all the flaws now, and I much appreciate it.

Thanks again z4m97 and Audiazif, I'll definitely try and make changes as pointed out. :)

Return to Critique This!