Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby sammybaffoe72 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:56 pm

sammybaffoe72

Subject title: Proportions

Hello,
first timer here, discovered this place through the youtube channel. Anyways, did a drawing, showed a friend and he was like, the proportions are off. Was hoping I could get a critique on it as I've been looking at it and so far I've kinda found only one thing off about it. The right leg.
Untitled-1.jpg
This is a fanart I'm doing of Nike: Goddess of victory from smite. Any critique is welcome.

Postby LorenzoCozza » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 pm

LorenzoCozza

On a new layer draw the skeleton of your figure, then download a front view of a human skeleton and overlap them

Postby perkexpert » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:06 pm

perkexpert

What he said....this could look sth like this. Extremely rough and fast, but i think you get the idea. Notes:
- your original head is too long
- your figure is way too tall, 8 heads, even with elongated head - so would be probably 9 with head downsized
- arms too short

Adjustments:
- first figure: Just downsized by one head
- rightmost figure:
- head shorter, chin seems a bit manly to me, you might want to doodle with the head a bit more
- arms longer
- whole figure shorter
- slight adjustment of proportions with torso.

Note: These are alrdy "heroic" proportions, if you get more realistic you might go for 7 or even 6,5 Heads
props.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby sammybaffoe72 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:48 pm

sammybaffoe72

Thanks for the replies. I took the advice you gave and used them to redraw it. Wanted you to take a look at it if possible. Also did another in which i added a background.
1 nike.jpg

Postby sammybaffoe72 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:49 pm

sammybaffoe72

Also, this is the one with the background.
2 nike.jpg

Postby RukuKabe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:09 pm

RukuKabe

For a slender, tall character like this, as long as the "intention" was to sort of stylistically stretch him I don't see much wrong with it. Now if you are really going for something realistic then yes, compressing the proportions might be the better bet.

It mostly depends on what you're going for, really.
“何か良いことでもあったのかい。”
−忍野メメ、傷物語

Return to Critique This!