Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

UnorthodoxThing

Subject title: How to romanticize this into a watercolored-theme? [Help me]

Fan art for a game called League of Legends. It's a meant to be a poster image between Light Vs Dark. I'm using Clip Studio, and I don't know how to create that water color effect on a digital platform. I'm also heavily influenced by Amano Yoshitaka. Can anyone provide me feedback on this image. Giving me guides are also welcome.
Dawnbringer Riv V Nightbringer Yas.2.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby KitKat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:15 am

KitKat

Here, I changed the colouring a bit. The problem is with the values, the characters and the background is almost similar in value which makes it hard to see. I'm not sure if you were going with a low-contrast painting as shown in most watercolour paintings but there should be a way to differentiate certain objects. (i.e shadows,lineart)
The things that stand out Amanos paintings are the composition and values in the painting. If you plan on replicating Amano's style, work on your lineart,values and compositon.

If you don't like the vibrancy in the painting you should line the characters so that they pop out from the background.

Dawnbringer Riv V Nightbringer Yas.2-updated.png

Regarding the watercolur method, theres an article on that for clipstudio. But, if you're planning on doing it in photoshop, just PM me, I have the brush for that.

Also, it'd be nice if you fixed the anatomy, mainly the hands. Hopefully another member will help you with that.

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:11 pm

UnorthodoxThing

I can't thankyou enough for breaking down Amano Yoshitaka's work for me! >_</ @KitKat I'm still learning anatomy~~ still a long ways I will admit that.

Also, I was trying to use low-contrast method.

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 am

UnorthodoxThing

This is my new progress on this work so far.

I wanted to emphasise on the clash between them. Light Vs Dark, I used a black and white background to try and give it a clearer setting and context. Would anyone like to give their critique on this?
Some of the questions I would like to ask is:
1. Is there any awkward color that stands out and misdirect the viewer's attention?
2. Shoud I add more value on the coloring or line-art (if it does look washed out)? Or if there's another reccomendation to make it less washed out please describe.
3. Is there anything else you'd like to input?

P.S. composition-wise I already know I'm insufficient in it. That will take a lot more practice. (>_>)
Dawnbringer Riv V Nightbringer Yas.4.1.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Josephcow

In a battle between dark and light, don't you think one ought to be dark, and one ought to be light (in value!).
The values are just all over the place, and it's hard to even tell the characters from the background. When you have pure black and white all over the image, the impact of the characters themselves being dark and light is gone.

Postby RukuKabe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:41 pm

RukuKabe

Just hopped back into the Sycra community so not sure how much value my words hold, but I would definitely say don't be afraid of lineart with low-contrast works like this. The thing I had to learn to is just cause you're using lineart doesn't mean it has to be thick, brush-worked lineart. You can keep to a super thin tip and give it just enough definition that it doesn't look like the color is "leaking out of the vessel", so to speak.
The important thing is you have a solid grasp on what your work to evoke, so as backwards as this may seem, don't just listen to every critique you get and slap it into your works. Take the goal you're aiming for and cross-ref it with the critiques you get, and just practice, practice, practice. But don't practice mindlessly. Study like your career depends on it. Because if you're aiming to do art for a living, it does. Or if you're just doing art as a hobby keep that mindset anyway. It helps.

Best of luck on your future works! Keep it up!! ^^
“何か良いことでもあったのかい。”
−忍野メメ、傷物語

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am

UnorthodoxThing

Thx for the feedbacks and tips!

I am struggling with this work. It could be my first time doing a conflicting subject - dark vs light. I've thought about the light values but I wasn't exactly sure how to approach it (I wasn't sure which value color, color-shadow). The background too is something that didn't pay my attention. I was told to start with a grey background. Well, roast me. I would ike to know any more improvements I could make before I'm sick and tired of looking at this and would actually need a month break before I can touch this work with a clear mind again.

Guidance on how to work with conflicting subjects are welcome! @_@/
draft1.3.4 watercolored-small.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:26 am

Josephcow

That looks way better! much more clear.

Return to Critique This!