Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby naundeeey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 pm

naundeeey

Subject title: A Painting

Wasn't really thinking about composition, I just tried to recreate a scene I saw in a dream to the best of my ability.
I'd like to hear some critiques please.
Spoiler: show

Postby Josephcow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:01 am

Josephcow

Yeah the composition is awkward because he shares the canvas equally with this tree which is the same height as him. I'm assuming he's standing on a hill in front of it, but cutting it off at his butt is what flattens them together. But I'm sure you kind of know that. The rendering itself is really good though! I love the clouds, and the way you did the leaves and the colors are great. His armour looks fine, but it could probably be even shinier in same places if you wanted polished metal. From the highlight it looks like you intended for it to be burnished though so I suppose that's fair. Damn I'm just kind of babbling and not really critiquing.

I guess my only problem with it is that it feels like half a picture. Like there should be a bottom half to it.

Postby KitKat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:09 am

KitKat

Here's my take on the painting. Sorry I had to remove your pretty cloud and tree Image

Knight_6.png

I suppose the knight is the focal point? I dont know if you`re aiming for a story-oriented painting or environment focused painting. Anyways, if you're looking into incorporating the character into the environment, check out Ryan Lang to see how he does it. Also, check out Feng Zhu for environments.

As for composition, look at N.C Wyeth for inspiration. I'll leave you with this

Return to Critique This!