Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby daker777 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am

daker777

Subject title: Hello! Looking for honest crits.

Hi all, I'm doing this illustration and I would like to know what you guys think, let me know how I could improve it, if something looks bad/off, etc.
Creature2.png
http://www.daker-777.tumblr.com
https://twitter.com/Daker777
Wanna be drawing pals? Add me on discord! "daker#3361", let's draw and challenge eachother! :DD

Postby ManyTcnj » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:44 pm

ManyTcnj

Hi darker, nice work!

I think the think the lighting scheme is a little confusing, though. It appears to be outside, but you have a cool/warm realtionship between the lights and shadows, except for the grass, which is lit by warm light. I switched it to a warm/cool, as it would be in sunlight. Also, the rabbit is hurting the piece, as it is not drawn with near as much skill as the cyclops. Last, I think this piece does not do your skill justice. Looking at your Tumblr, I think your other work is better.
Creature2.png

Postby daker777 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:05 pm

daker777

ManyTcnj wrote:Hi darker, nice work!

I think the think the lighting scheme is a little confusing, though. It appears to be outside, but you have a cool/warm realtionship between the lights and shadows, except for the grass, which is lit by warm light. I switched it to a warm/cool, as it would be in sunlight. Also, the rabbit is hurting the piece, as it is not drawn with near as much skill as the cyclops. Last, I think this piece does not do your skill justice. Looking at your Tumblr, I think your other work is better.

Hey ManyTcnj, thanks for taking the time to help me! About the lighting scheme, you are right, I didn't put much thought on the cool/warm relationship, though originally, the sky was blue and I was imagining that the sun would be hidden behind clouds, I will attach the original pic, maybe it makes more sense? I just changed the color scheme a little because I thought it looked better, but maybe not. I will put more effort in the rabbit, I kinda rushed it because I wanted to finish. About my other work being better, well, I don't know, I've been inactive for a while so I'm probably rusty, though to be honest I didn't think pic was worse than my other stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for the crit!
Creature.png
http://www.daker-777.tumblr.com
https://twitter.com/Daker777
Wanna be drawing pals? Add me on discord! "daker#3361", let's draw and challenge eachother! :DD

Postby Uzaydogan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Uzaydogan

Hello, and nice work. But I think you need some more warm-cold variation and texture on the skin of your cyclops. Add some blue and orange and experiment with them, it works for me anyways :D

And because the rabbit is too white it blends with the background, maybe add some more contrast to it, but I like the idea of cute cyclops and rabbit.

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Fantelle

Sorry, I do realize this is really late. I wanted to critique on it earlier but had no time.

Anyhow, I really do like the idea of this. The shapes of the creature are very appealing, his body proportions especially
    work well. My problem lies primarily in lighting, it's very inconsistent. I tried fixing it in a paintover.

Image Image

Additionally I changed his hair, because it felt too neat for an old, weary, overgrown creature. I also hid his genitals because
    that felt very forced to me, why does the skirt need to be shorter there? I also changed the color of the rabbit to brown
    because as mentioned, it blends in with the background. Lastly, the eyeball wasn't round and the pupil was way out of position
    so I fixed that. All of this very sloppily, sorry about that. Hope the message gets across anyhow. x.x

Overall, I think your rendering skills are great. Lighting could be better. But what I think will benefit you the most is work on
    your composition. Do black and white thumbnail sketches before you start a piece, this way you will achieve more interesting
    compositions and will be able to tell your story in a more eye-catching way. I'd love to see you post more in your sketchbook,
    as you're definitely on the right path! Hopefully this helped somewhat?

Return to Critique This!