Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Sleepiestbun » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:57 am

Sleepiestbun

Subject title: crit this?

i have a tendency to finish drawings and have no idea if theyre good or not, this is definitely one of those times so all critique would be helpful because im dumb

im just gonna leave this link bcs this site does nooot like this file ok ty

https://68.media.tumblr.com/32b43cc7958 ... o1_540.png
my art blog! sleepyseaslug.tumblr.com

Postby gricc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 am

gricc

Everything is pretty alright, but there is not much depth with the house which makes everything a little weird
Sinix 2.0

Postby Alpacky » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:38 am

Alpacky

Blatant blanket statement incoming.
Houses are three dimensional.
It's soooo 2d that it seems intentional, as your character is in 3D...
Idk draw some houses from reference do some perspective stuff, don't make the entire house fit into one small flat square... :)
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby ossifer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 am

ossifer

hey! honestly i really like your style, there's just a few things i noticed:

- you have really nice colours, but the sky and the lamp are at almost the same value? i feel like emphasizing one of them would add depth. also with detailed pieces like this, darkening the corners can help draw the viewer into the main focal points.

- it looks like your flat style with the house is intentional! and i actually really like the look of it. it reminds me a bit of a 2-d game, like child of light or something.

- if you mean for the golden details on the house to be metal, you could probably slap a few sharp highlights on them- they're very close to a bright light source.

- in terms of composition, it's almost always better to have it be less centred. if you left some more space on the left side, it would give the character more room to "breathe", i think, and would help give the impression that she's arriving at the house from somewhere else.

i tweaked the values quickly in my paintover just to check how it would look! it changes the mood of the piece as well, though, so it really depends on how cheerful you wanted it to look originally. i hope this helps!
New canvas.jpg

Postby Sleepiestbun » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Sleepiestbun

OK thank you everyone!! I did want the house to fit into the square quite neatly but if its looking too weird, thats fair and ill keep that in mind
and youre so right, the values do look better with that change ty
my art blog! sleepyseaslug.tumblr.com

Postby lilla » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 pm

lilla

I loooooove this! so so pretty colours and I adore the 2D look! The only thing I can critise is that I think you could do more in terms of shape and silhouette. To break everything a bit up, I feel like there are too many awkward angles and edges that juuust line up, I encircled the ones I mean, like bushes, some shapes that seem to end without going anywhere, the girl standing juuuust at the edge of the house and so on. Overlap would create a bit more erhm "depth"... I think.... even if this is isometric... or how you call it. And so would breaking up the block of house, since there is a indication of a bit of perspective, maybe making some different sized parts would help, even if doing it very subtly :)
Spoiler: show
Untitled-1.jpg

Apart from that, again, this is an amazing piece!

Aaand sorry I just read that you did fit it into a square on purpose... in that case personally I would make things that reach the borders intentionally smaller, like make the staircase a lot smaller...?

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 am

UnorthodoxThing

Good job on the new change! I felt that when I look at it I look up to the top half of the house and don't see much character in it when half the design was at the bottom half (the fences). The light source does capture my attention more to the left side now.
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby Engell79 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

Engell79

I think its a well made picture, and it has a nice setting. its enjoyable for the eye to look at, and intresting to explorer with your mind.
color, value and style seems well fit together.

At first look, i feelt the picture seemed off, and it took me a while to figure out why.

the house and the girl has a slight lean towards the left, even for her pose she is still in a lean.
some of the pillars with starts lean left others lean a bit right.
the right side of the stairs has a righ-wards lean, and the leftward side has less of a lean.
same goes with lines on windows and door.

Theres nothing wrong with lean, but if you use it intentioanlly it need to be in parralels / even matched sides.

so, overall a great picture, but you need to be more aware of both diagonal and horisontal lean, intentional or not.

Return to Critique This!