Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby brownlei000 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:57 am

brownlei000

Subject title: Art critique/Are my drawings too boring?

heya! I've been drawing for a couple years and I feel like it is just average and maybe even a little boring so I would appreciate if you guys can give critiques. I'm trying to eventually be a professional artist and show in galleries and all and I also would like art friends my Instagram is https://www.instagram.com/vividlymorose_art/

sorry if they seem overly "artsy" I just took the pictures from my Instagram lol
Photo May 23, 7 01 14 PM.jpg
Photo May 27, 2 05 43 PM.jpg
Photo May 19, 4 59 58 PM.jpg
Last edited by brownlei000 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:09 am

DarkLored123

Your style isn't going to make your drawing looks more interesting, the composition and idea are the main subjects that influence how well you attract a viewer towards your piece. If you want to become a professional you need to diversify your skill set so you can adapt to different working environments which I recommend you study the fundamentals to build these skills.

As an artist you also need to build a keen eye and critique your own work as it is an essential part of your growth, if you can't spot the mistakes and completely understand why you made them, you won't be able to avoid or correct them. To make your pieces more interesting try to add more emphasis to your ideas and make sure that the composition compliments it in the most effective way, style shouldn't really be a priority since as a professional you need to adapt to the requirements that your field of work requires you to do.

Postby KitKat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:09 pm

KitKat

Do these pieces reflect your interests or they just generic things that you slapped together? Apparently viewers like it when artists are somewhat vulnerable. Personally, i like personal art or art based on experience/thoughts.

Honestly, yeah the themes of these art seem a bit generic. It'd be nice if you could bring something from your life/thoughts/experience into your art. Personalize it a bit. Draw what you saw, what you felt, what you heard. Draw the people around you, draw your city. Whatever it is.

Also, if youre doing abstract art, focus more on the composition and the concept behind the piece. If it doesnt have a central theme, it may be a bit scattered ~
Best of luck~

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Audiazif

I agree with the posts above the ideas and concepts seem a little uninspired. I feel like I have seen it before or could find a lot of work like it. I think if you are going to simplify things to this point you should find a way to simplify it in your own way. You are thinking in symbols and these symbols are generic. At least make the symbols your own. I also think that you could do more with composition. It feels to me like you are letting the canvas dictate the piece rather than the piece dictating the canvas. In other words you are making the elements fit on the canvas when you should be making the canvas fit the elements. Hopefully that makes sense.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!