Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby aikoonodera » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 pm

aikoonodera

Subject title: Need help on Greyscale to Color!

(The full versions of the ref in grey, ref in color, and mine can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/tEMG8)

Hey! I haven't submitted something for critique here in like, over a year. I'm actually looking for help on two things:

1: I've been working on a study off and on for a few weeks, and I think I'm juuuust about ready to work on it in color. The only problem is, I've never really done this before--in fact, this is part of why I decided to do it grey-scale, so I could learn how to transition into color from there. But I barely know where to start. I vaguely know you use multiply on another layer, but I've had such limited experience with that. I really just need a boost.

2: While the above is the biggest thing I came for help on, I'd also like to hear some overall critique of the picture as is. Like, did I get the likeness okay? The glasses and the wand are something I always intended to add in bc the only way I was able to motivate myself to work was to turn it into fanart piece as well (not even gonna go into who the character is). But did I do alright on them?

Side note: ...if this makes sense, while I did try to be roughly accurate with it, I was more attempting to get the same...feeling. Less "pixel accuracy" and more "understanding of the piece". I didn't spend a lot of time on the background as a result, but I still attempted to replicate the importance it had to bring the picture together. Does that make sense? So, like, I'm not that concerned about getting it 100% the same, but if you don't think I properly understood something in the picture, please lemme know!

[EDIT: OH YEAH, ALSO: I know I didn't include the shoulder straps but like...man I just didn't have any interest in working on those. I tried but I'd rather move on now. I might even get rid of the "pins" they connected to, too.]
for the forums.png
Last edited by aikoonodera on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to be your princess.

Art Facebook (usually the most up to date)
Art tumblr
Deviantart
Sketchbook (huge skill difference from first posts to now)

Postby aikoonodera » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:55 pm

aikoonodera

(added this comment to the post, but dunno how to delete it ><)
Last edited by aikoonodera on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art tumblr
Deviantart

Postby KitKat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:15 pm

KitKat

Try using the colour mode on another layer. I think there are some videos on Youtube that teach you how to do this. There are also videos of people colourizing old photos. Maybe you can look into that?

Other than that, you can layer a gradient map if you want a more harmonious look.
gradient-map-adjustment-layer.gif

tumblr_m66mnw0SwE1roapsd.jpg

Of course, you can adjust the colour to your liking.

Postby aikoonodera » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:31 pm

aikoonodera

KitKat wrote:...

Oh, thank you for the advice!! I'm on Painttool Sai so I can't use a gradient map, but I'll look up colorizing photos on youtube regardless!

Art tumblr
Deviantart

Postby z4m97 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:30 am

z4m97

you can use the multiply and overlay layers, they work just fine for that, but id say.... add some color to it it wont hurt... just be sure not to lose your tones and you can get away with a lot in terms of color...

Postby giwayume » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 am

giwayume

GIMP can do gradient maps, too. It's free.

Postby Alpacky » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 am

Alpacky

Sycra VERY recently did a video on grayscale to color.
It's like 30 mins long and covers a lot of stuff... it might be the last thing he uploaded, actually
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Return to Critique This!