Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Alpacamood » Mon May 29, 2017 4:17 am

Alpacamood

Subject title: critique my painting study(ish)

alright so i did a study off of a norman rockwell painting, i really have no idea what im doing when painting but i tried to just wing it... i feel like im depending too much on the textured brush to get that loose quality. I just wanna know if theres a better way to approach learning digital painting rather than just going straight in with no sense of work flow. any tips on how to start a painting would seriously help
norman rockwell knee studies.png

Postby Mandilor » Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 am

Mandilor

He has more greys (they look a little green) in his lights and some warmer more saturates reds in his darks.

Do an applied study where you paint something without reference using what you learned from doing the study.

Postby Alpacky » Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 pm

Alpacky

The knee is a little abnormally large in yours,
there are more, odd, but effective colors in the skin of the left one

finally, while there is a flat section in his/her work on the front left of the folded over part of the sock, your replication of that doesnt follow the form of the leg.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Return to Critique This!