Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kiwidetective » Sun May 28, 2017 1:00 pm

kiwidetective

Subject title: Competition Entry - Need Feedback!

Hey guys, I'm joining a competition this year that requires me to paint a character depicting 2 opposite emotions.
The emotions I chose were serenity and rage (only serenity in this first pic).
Anyone care to give feedback on this so far?
02_Serenity_1.png

Postby Audiazif » Sun May 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Audiazif

I think the painterly-ness is nice but I think you need to tighten up areas of interest to make things pop more. Also I think the character sinks into the background, you should add some kind of contrast between the bg and the subject. Another thing I see happening is the form is getting lost in places like the cheek, neck, and body. I think the first thing to do is unify the light source. It is hard to tell where the light is coming from because the shading is "spotty". Try for large shapes of light and shadow first and then refine into smaller and more detailed shapes. Another thing that is contributing to the flatness is the fur pattern. It is pretty much the same color throughout the piece. The color should have a more noticeable change when it goes from light to shadow.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Gryephon » Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 am

Gryephon

Hello, I'm Gryephon, I would like to help you get your digital painting skills from here, to here.
Spoiler: show
hdr-tvs-color-improvment-2.jpg

Hello, I'm Gryephon, I would like to help you get your digital painting skills from here, to HERE.
02_Serenity_1.jpg

Hello, I'm Gryephon, I would like to get your digital painting skills from here, to the rest of THESE!!!
RTG_Page_08.jpg

tv-led-ultra-hd-philips-hdr-adoption-de-la-norme-open-source_034131_034131.jpg

CTpgB-iUsAACdPt.png

HDComp-3.jpg

HDcomp-2.jpg

hddr-nedir-acıklama.png

dolbyvisioncomp-1l.jpg

HDR-vs-SDR.jpg

hdr-vs-sdr-500x462.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

quqb1.png

Look, the bottom line is that contrast is important. It helps us artist's articulate our visuals better.

My advice would be go under adjustment levels and beef up the contrast, and try to get to know your histogram
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby Mandilor » Mon May 29, 2017 7:13 am

Mandilor

The edges that separate two objects, such as character from background or chin from neck need to have clean edges.

Could also use some occlusion shadows here and there.

Postby ManyTcnj » Wed May 31, 2017 8:06 pm

ManyTcnj

Hi Kiwi,

I think the drawing, and the contrast ration/ overall lighting/ colors, are good. I think, however, you could render this WAY more. I thought of Aaron Blaise when I saw this. Take a look at how he renders fur. A combination of painting, and overlays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuaMG0_-xWw

In general, starting with a slightly darker value, and then going over top with a slightly lighter value. I started rendering a small section on the cheek. I think this is a great base, and could be punched up a notch.
02_Serenity_1.png

Postby ManyTcnj » Wed May 31, 2017 8:07 pm

ManyTcnj

Also, stripes a re a great opportunity to show off fur, as they give you multiple silhouette edges.

Return to Critique This!