Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SaikoNo » Fri May 26, 2017 4:13 pm

SaikoNo

Subject title: Tips for this piece ?

Heey guys,
i had a challenge with a friend where we recreate older images and i spent a good amount of time on this piece (2 Weeks)
And quite happy with the outcome, but i came to a point where i dont really know what to improve or what i could change. Not only in this piece but in General with all of my Art.
And i thought maybe one of you could maybe help me to push through this current Limit.

Postby Mandilor » Fri May 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Mandilor

Look cool, that knight feels like a bad ass. Reminds me a little of Frezetta's death dealer.

The main problem I see is your values aren't group and so you end up having a number of contrasting hot spots which make the image hard to read. This one looks pretty good comparatively but still need some work.

Reduce how bright unimportant areas are such as the sky, castle and the knights tabard.

You can also brighten dark areas that aren't important as well such as the sky and the squire's scabbard.

Also you have a tangent going on with the knights pummel.

Here is a quick paint over in greyscale. You might want to work in b/w until you have this figured out.

Postby Gryephon » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 am

Gryephon

You seem to have gotten the value structure backwards. If it's night time the foreground values would typically be more illuminated and the background would be darker, it's the reverse during the daytime. The further something is away from a source of light at night the darker it appears. however you seem to have gotten the ground darker then the people which i would assume would be lit by the same light source. So why does it look less illuminated then the people?

templeknightrejouhv04a8y.jpg
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby SaikoNo » Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 am

SaikoNo

Thanks for the Overpaintings :) I definetly see what you are talking about with the different Values and with all the Contrast which is going on. I made it like that because i always thought it is good to have as much different values on the character as possible because it creates more contrast and that results in a better defined focal point. But i think less is more.

And to be honest, i didnt think about daytime or night time i just chose the values the way so the picture reads good :D

Return to Critique This!