Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DRaff210 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:22 am

DRaff210

Subject title: Lutenists (Achieving a loose rendering style?)

Here's a little scene with my boy-and-beast characters. I'm very much a fan of "looser" rendering styles, particularly those inspired by impressionism, which is maybe evident if you're familiar with my sketchbook as of late. Though I've gotten somewhat more comfortable drawing smaller, more isolated subjects (i.e. heads), I've been terrified to start painting full illustrations, especially when it comes to painting entire bodies. (Also, clothing. How does it work??) I got overwhelmed and stopped trying to render, so the sketch is still holding everything together... any ideas as to how I can achieve the looser rendering style I enjoy while keeping everything clean?

(Oh, and please also feel free to critique anything else you see - anatomy, gesture, composition, etc. I want to grow!)

Lute Lessons 2.jpg

Postby Alpacky » Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Alpacky

I feel like, though small, having him look at the boy, instead of over his head would help alot.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Josephcow » Fri May 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Josephcow

This is great! the rendering style is loose, but it's not sloppy which is really important. Going forward I would simplify your shapes even more, making things even more graphic in the areas of importance. Being loose still requires you to be specific. So when you remove the lines and begin to render again, remember that you are still trying to have the necessary information, you just need to find a way to do it with less brushstrokes. I'm sure you know this, but I think it's a pretty common mistake to equate painterly work with being vague.

Have you watched Marco Bucci's videos on youtube? If not I think you would really like them. He paints illustrations digitally in a very impressionistic style.

here's one about color, not rendering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINus0lYQjo&t=829s

Personally, I think your color as a whole is very good, it's just the hue choices on the beast that kind of bother me. green, yellow, red and white, and an orange lute is just a lot of colors in one character for me. I would much prefer something simpler. like you have on the boy.When I pick the colors on the beast the hues are all over the map right now. This isn't good because yes, you have a lot of colors which makes for a vibrant image, and yes you wisely lowered the saturation of them all so they are not glaring. But still, you have yellow, red, and green and orange pretty much equal weight in one character, and they are all around the color wheel, making it hard for the character as a whole to harmonize with an environment.

I might try a yellow-green in the fur, to try to relate the yellow and green closer so they aren't clashing. Then I might make the red warmer as well so it harmonizes with the yellow and orange with the lute.

I also messed with the values of the green fur a little bit and simplified the shadow shapes on it so it was not quite so disparate with the value of the skin.
Lute%20Lessons%2022.jpg

so same colors, but the hues are closer together. This is just my personal preference however, you don't have to take it too seriously if you're not a fan.

Postby DRaff210 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:47 am

DRaff210

Thanks so much for the tips! (And sorry for the late reply; life happened.) I think the most helpful part of your paintover was how you changed the lighting on the beast's green hair; it looks so much neater and precise with the way you altered the values and grouped them together.

I definitely agree that my color sense has a lot of improving to do, though I have to be honest that I'm not digging the yellowish-green you chose for his hair. I can't place it, but it seems almost... toxic, or something? To me, anyway. I'm also confused as to where you're seeing red on the beast; it could be that what I perceive as brown on his vest and pants looks a bit too much on the red side, which I can understand. I completely agree on the color of the lute, though; that was something that was giving me a lot of trouble.

Also, your tip about communicating information with as few strokes as possible really spoke to me, and I'll definitely have to check out that Marco Bucci guy. Hopefully I'll be able to take this advice to heart and finish this piece sometime soon. :oops:

Postby Josephcow » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 am

Josephcow

That's fair. Looking back on it, I don't think my choices were great either. But glad it helped in some way anyway! I hope to see this finished!

Return to Critique This!