Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snisetski » Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am

snisetski

Subject title: Help me out, pretty please!!

Please critique this!! Tell me everything that's wrong with it because I tried my best this time?? I feel like I'm not improving at ALL? It makes me anxious??? I need to know where I'm going wrong and why I'm blind to my own mistakes!! I know the clavicles are too horizontal and the eyes might not like up perfectly but bUT I really need help!
IMG_1945.JPG

Postby z4m97 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:04 pm

z4m97

hello! nice to see you again, i think all of the problems i see on this one i have critiqued before in your other posts.
and i think the biggest problem right now is that while yes youre askig for critique, you're probably not taking all what you can get out of it.
the critiques are not really for making each drawing good on it's own, there are no magic bullets to make a drawing good. a critique is there to make you realize a mistake and make YOU better. so you probably dont feel improvement because while you have been getting milleage by drawing a lot, if you dont apply what we say in the critiques and study it, milleage alone can only get you so far. so i'd say, for your whole body of work, to go for the fundamentals, go practice gesture, structure, perspective... and really learn to love the practice, because you'll bve doing lots of it. I'm not saying "dont draw aything that you like and go full hardcore about fundamentals" no, in fact, drawing pieces while practicing in the background is really important, it makes you move from being able to draw good cubes, to be being able to draw good figures.

try and use the ASAP method, as described by Anthony Jones:
Assess the problem (what am i bad at?)
Simplify and Study (get to the core of the problem and study how to correct it)
Apply it (get your hands dirty and apply that knowledge)
Practice (keep practicing it so that you dont forget how to do it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfK46nruKM&t

so yeah, if you wanna improve, it's not just milleage, but a lot of discipline :)

Postby Audiazif » Thu May 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Audiazif

You say that you think the eyes are off but they seem to be aligned nicely in respect to the center line of the face. The issue is that the things around the eyes are making them look like they are off. Mainly the ears are the problem. The ear on the left (the character's right) has to be lower because the ear needs to fit between the the brow line and the bottom of the nose. Other things that I think are off is the mouth and the head shape. They both don't align correctly with the center line.

The thing you should take away from this crit is that if you think something is off there are really only three reasons it is off. One is that it is off, the second is that the things around it are off, the third is that everything is off. In order to figure out if something is off you need to learn ways of checking things yourself. That is easier said than done. The only way I know is through construction and guide lines. It is kind of like math in a way, if things don't add up you can go back through your work to find out where things went wrong (also if you don't show your work it is hard figure out what went wrong and how you can fix it).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Gryephon » Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 am

Gryephon

You need to work on your shirt. The problem with it is the grays on the black shirt don't seem to be communicating form very well (it simply looks like a mess). It might be better to think of a black shirt base color as a dark grey if your trying to capture form, or perhaps making the entire shirt completely black without any shading, because unless your trying to look like a newb, no form is better then poorly rendered form. So either learn the form principle or black it out entirely.

You can google around for black shirts\suits for references, and if you need to color pick to see how the colors are actually working, do it.

I'll try to illustrate it in a quick overpaint, though I wasn't sure if that was a pumpkin or not on the shirt.

Spoiler: show
Untitled-1.jpg
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby snisetski » Fri May 26, 2017 8:10 am

snisetski

z4m97 wrote:so yeah, if you wanna improve, it's not just milleage, but a lot of discipline :)

Okay yes. I'll do it. I'll definitely do it. Practice. Bwahhh (*´◒`*) tbh I don't even really know how to draw simple cubes in perspective. What a shame. I'll get working on that first! Thank you!

Postby snisetski » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 am

snisetski

Gryephon wrote:
I'll try to illustrate it in a quick overpaint, though I wasn't sure if that was a pumpkin or not on the shirt.

Spoiler: show
Untitled-1.jpg

Uhh that was a lollipop on the tshirt, oops (*´-`). I see! I wanted to go for all black but then idk what happened, I'll keep going for no form until I learn about it! Thank you~

Postby snisetski » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 am

snisetski

Audiazif wrote:

Noted! I never knew about this. I'll definitely keep this in my mind forever, thanks a bunch!!

Return to Critique This!