Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 pm

alexander.cvetanov

Subject title: Help with style and lineweight.

So i have a bit of a problem with the line quailty with my drawings.
Also i want to make them a bit more cartoony.Something like that (check a few pages from this comic) https://tapas.io/episode/503592
I'm not sure what to do..
Anyways here's a drawing
rsz_lolz.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Audiazif

The thing about comic line work, or at least from what i have seen, is that when it come to the inking stage everything is already figured out in the drawing. They are probably working on top of a tight "pencils" layer where it gives enough information to where they only have to concentrate on the line work and there is little to no guess work.

The inking in the comic you linked is somewhat sketchy but it still looks clean and like it is following a tight drawing. In your drawing it looks like you didn't quite have things figured out and things were done on the fly. There are stray lines and what looks like remains from erasing a lot. Try to have things figured out before you ink. The great thing about digital is you can always make a new layer above. Also things don't have to be perfect the first time you do them. You could start with a sketchy layer, then tighten it up through multiple layers above that, and then on the final layer just focus on the inking.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Oli » Tue May 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Oli

I think the main issue is the light. Try to keep thick lines on the shadow side and thin lines on the lighted side. Keep also the highlights in white consistent. In your drawing it is not really clear where the light is coming from (at least to me).

Otherwise I think it is cool!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 pm

alexander.cvetanov

Can somebody do a quick redraw,because i don't really get the thing with the lines :cry:

Postby astrokeofmadness » Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 pm

astrokeofmadness

alexander.cvetanov wrote:Can somebody do a quick redraw,because i don't really get the thing with the lines :cry:

This is a very lazy edit of what they mean, basically, where light hits has thinner lines. All I did was grab white/grey and thin the lines out. The issue is the picture doesnt have a specific direction the light is coming from, so this is a tad harder.
redrawquick.gif

Postby Audiazif » Fri May 26, 2017 1:51 am

Audiazif

Judging form the cast shadow on the neck the light would be coming somewhere from the top left so you would make the lines thicker on the right and toward the bottom (the opposite of where the light is).

Example
Untitled-4.gif

I over did it to make it easier to see.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!