Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kalliopilyviaki » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 am

kalliopilyviaki

Subject title: Portrait Critique needed (New here)

Hey guys new here
so its been about two months since i finally decided to start painting seriously instead of two times a year that i used two :P
Please let me know your thoughts on my painting, and let me know anything that you might not like or think that is off!
this one was one of my practising portraits, im really tring to find ways to produce quick work, with not spending too much time rendering but still keeping the piece intresting!
it took about 2 + 1/2 hours
Thank you so much!

kisses

Kalliopi Lyviaki
FI.jpg

Postby astrokeofmadness » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 pm

astrokeofmadness

My suggestion would be to work on depth, primarily making the face/ neck less flat. The biggest outlier is the lips, which feel completely different then the rest of the shading, the center line should be much much darker, as with the shadows. The nose has a great feeling of depth, which isnt matched by the rest of image as much.

Postby kalliopilyviaki » Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 pm

kalliopilyviaki

astrokeofmadness wrote:My suggestion would be to work on depth, primarily making the face/ neck less flat. The biggest outlier is the lips, which feel completely different then the rest of the shading, the center line should be much much darker, as with the shadows. The nose has a great feeling of depth, which isnt matched by the rest of image as much.

thank you for your comment, well i usually do quick paintings focused on the face and small parts with not full realistic rendering but ill try out what you said in a more in depth painting!

Postby SirRedLlama » Wed May 24, 2017 11:12 pm

SirRedLlama

This is excellent already. I suppose all it lacks is the rendering process which I know is long and a bit tedious. This is just my personal preference but I would make the hair less shiny since it sort of looks too cartoony on such a realistic face.

Postby astrokeofmadness » Thu May 25, 2017 2:06 am

astrokeofmadness

kalliopilyviaki wrote:
astrokeofmadness wrote:My suggestion would be to work on depth, primarily making the face/ neck less flat. The biggest outlier is the lips, which feel completely different then the rest of the shading, the center line should be much much darker, as with the shadows. The nose has a great feeling of depth, which isnt matched by the rest of image as much.

thank you for your comment, well i usually do quick paintings focused on the face and small parts with not full realistic rendering but ill try out what you said in a more in depth painting!

Worth noting, I dont necessarily think you need to make it more realistic, just up the contrast between the shadows and the lights. For example, the shadows are nowhere near black in comparison to the very bright highlights. But honestly I think if just the mouth line was darker the entire image would improve dramatically. Heck, I just threw it into photoshop and noticed a lip shadow near the bottom is actually substantially darker then the line in the middle, which by all accounts should be the darkest spot. Also another quick fix is the lack of any light actually on the lips, which again is odd considering the intense light hitting the eyes and the nose, while the lips- which clearly have lipstick, have no shine.
Quick example below, slight shine on lips, darker mouth line, and small increase in shadow beneath chin balances out the darker top half, didnt even need to actually up the contrast once the few dark elements were added. Might need to brighten the lips up to compensate for the lip shadow added though.
sycra edit.jpg

Postby kalliopilyviaki » Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 am

kalliopilyviaki

SirRedLlama wrote:This is excellent already. I suppose all it lacks is the rendering process which I know is long and a bit tedious. This is just my personal preference but I would make the hair less shiny since it sort of looks too cartoony on such a realistic face.

Thank you so much :D yes ill agree with you on the hair, they needed more work but my anxiety to kind of finish them made me go the easy way,
the highlights need to be more carefully added.

Postby Gryephon » Wed May 31, 2017 3:00 am

Gryephon

Well the composition feels kinda ultra symmetrical and less well... human. I suggest trying to break the symmetry up a little.

While it might be true that the face frequently has a rough symmetrical balance to it, like the the space between the two eye's is an eye length apart, or the spaces between the hairline to the brow line to the chin is all equally spaced out to two eye lengths each.... but it's pretty much never seen in 100% symmetry. There's all sorts of variables that throws off apparent symmetry of the face, micro expressions, camera center point not in the middle, head tilted or rotated the slightest amount, lighting causing certain shapes to seem bigger on one side, and the actual possibility that your facial features may not be 100% the same on each side... Just all sorts of things. Actually, if you want to compare the differences, a good link would be here. link .

The thing is adding some inconsistencies in the shapes is what helps add character. I'll try to do a quick overpaint, tweaking some of the shapes to break things up a little... Like you might noticed things are tilted, or hair bangs not equally shaped, one eye lowered then the other implying perhaps slight tiredness or lost in thought, a slight smile. It just little things that a character is composed of.

Spoiler: show
FI4.jpg

You got "balance" nailed rock solid, but not character. The little things that deviate from symmetry a little bit.

If your trying to go for the pretty girl type, you might try loosening up on the shading around the cheek bones. she seems kinda hard\boney around there.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby Josephcow » Wed May 31, 2017 3:29 am

Josephcow

I feel like they were going for a kind of divine symmetry composition as opposed to a more humanistic portrait. I mean, it looks like she could be a goddess or someone that is, well, more than human. So with that in mind I think what OP did was appropriate.

Postby Gryephon » Wed May 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Gryephon

But Joseph... It's ok to have some divine assymetry... You can see some of it in his noodleness whom has boiled for your sins!
Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg

I guess whatever, I think hyper\divine symmetry is boring as hell to draw. But I guess that's just me.

Postby Josephcow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Josephcow

Ah but look how much graphic impact this divine symmetry gives!
And+so+it+was+_5b85013d296cf1aec9a8eaa9cf330b01.jpg

personally this kind of art brings me spiritually closer to the FSM.

Postby naundeeey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 pm

naundeeey

Increasing contrast or adding more blacks (which you should almost never do) wouldn't really improve anything since the front of her head doesn't have a solid light source to show the forms.

Also it seems that you (OP) placed the highlights randomly without any second thought behind it.
Highlights follow strict rules and are all tied to ONE lightsource. (More lightsources = more, different highlights, which would make this too complicated)

I did 3 basic things in the following GIF:
1 Added a lightsource (which allows you to flesh out more forms, details etc..)
I've chosen the lightsource based on the highlights on her eyes.
2 Added highlights appropriating to >Lightsource. I exaggerated them alot to show you what I mean.
Highlights are there, where 1.form is specularly reflective to some extend and 2. surface of form is parallel to the line between viewer and lightsource. (Like a mirror)
3 Added some bleeding through light for fun, but thats the least important thing

I hope that helps

Postby Gryephon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:31 am

Gryephon

Josephcow wrote:personally this kind of art brings me spiritually closer to the FSM.

LOL! Ok you win, uncle. You made me laugh.

naundeeey wrote:Increasing contrast or adding more blacks (which you should almost never do)

*Blinks*

Return to Critique This!