Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby astrokeofmadness » Sun May 21, 2017 11:42 pm

astrokeofmadness

Subject title: Need help to finish this painting

Things I still plan on doing-
define collarbone more
do something about them horrible fingernails....
Can't decide how to go about the hair at all
Fix the strap/back connection/blurriness

I used a photo reference, but obviously I changed some of the facial features to make it look more cartoony. Lips are a bit longer, eyes twice the size, jaw/chin/neck thinner. Having trouble on what to do with the background, the original is just a blue backdrop with no lighting and about the same value as the box she's leaning on, which works for the original because she has redish golden hair. I wanted to change up the hair color to black, as it looked more fitting to the new face, and I've painted way too many blonde/red heads. Also worth noting this is a black and white painting with color added overtop, so anything color choice related can be easily changed.

Other questions- Should I increase the shadows in the fingers? They clearly arent working at the moment as 3d objects, so do I just need to add a bit of shadow to the sides of them to round em a bit? Is the skin color working? I have an issue with skin in which I use mostly the same technique each time to color skin that I'm not so sure is working. It involves a general skin tone layer of some flesh tone, and then various layers of red, blue, green,, sometimes purple, and sometimes yellow to create the look. The big one is hair, I dont know how to go about hair that is nearly black while also getting detail into the mass of hair on the table. I always wind up making it look grey due to all the strands I want to make pop.

Postby Alpacky » Mon May 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Alpacky

What are you trying to do?
The eyes are big and facial features, in general, exaggerated... yet your going for a realistic skin?
I dunno if its supposed to be creepy, which I hope so, cause its cool, but... if its not... thats a problem. Maybe youve been staring at it so long that you haven't noticed, and, or, it might be because of what I previously mentioned -> Stylized drawing but realistic skin
try making the eyes a realistic size, and then post the results here.

Alternatively, if you like the eyes... you could erase the entire rest of the painting... but i just think it would be a simple way for me to get my point across
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Gryephon » Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Gryephon

I would try to diffuse the lighting a little in the background, it kinda feels artificial.

For the hair, simply make it darker. The dress looks blacker then it.

aHWHMPT2.jpg
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby astrokeofmadness » Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm

astrokeofmadness

Alpacky wrote:What are you trying to do?
The eyes are big and facial features, in general, exaggerated... yet your going for a realistic skin?
I dunno if its supposed to be creepy, which I hope so, cause its cool, but... if its not... thats a problem. Maybe youve been staring at it so long that you haven't noticed, and, or, it might be because of what I previously mentioned -> Stylized drawing but realistic skin
try making the eyes a realistic size, and then post the results here.

Alternatively, if you like the eyes... you could erase the entire rest of the painting... but i just think it would be a simple way for me to get my point across

It's definitely supposed to be creepy, the original had the same intense stare, but making the eyes this big increased that intensity by a lot. Making the hair black also made it look more gothlike, which when combined with the paler skin also intensifies that.
I'll admit it looks much more normal with smaller eyes, but I dunno... it kind of looks too normal at that point.

Postby Gryephon » Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Gryephon

Took my advice on the background lighting, looks better.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Return to Critique This!