Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby deaderv23 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 pm

deaderv23

Subject title: Need some help with illustration

Need some help with this piece. I would be super happy if somebody could critique that for me. It's still work in progress. Feel free to paint on top as well! I am trying to apply some of the lovely warcraft/diablo's style to design of the armor. Goal is to get it really polished/rendered to high details.

Cheers! :)

Postby Josephcow » Sat May 20, 2017 3:38 am

Josephcow

Looks awesome! I love that orange in the background. it's bold but you have some greys in there breaking it up which looks really cool. Remember it's not just a background though. That's essentially the color of the sky, so the armour should show a reflection of it where it faces up. You do incorporate the orange quite a bit which is doing a good job of creating color harmony, but I think it could be a little more.

I also wish that the helment had some crisper edges on the reflections and all around to make it more satisfying as a focal point. A little brighter highlight would help there as well.

Postby deaderv23 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 am

deaderv23

@Josephcow

Thank dude for critique! I totally agree with the background colour. My plan is to add second light source coming from the left side to make the character pop out a bit more. I was thinking about bright orange. I still need to work on the helmet, I spent most of the time on the armor bits ;P

Update coming soon! :)

Postby Josephcow » Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 am

Josephcow

second light source is a decent idea. But I would do a cool color instead of orange. Even a neutral light source is going to pop in the reflections since the painting is already dominated by warm.

Postby deaderv23 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm

deaderv23

Yeah cool light was a good idea. Rough light added, just to see if it would work.

Postby naundeeey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 am

naundeeey

Good thing is your clear value structure: bright background and dark foreground with light accents on the character.

However, I have to disagree with the other guy.
The fact that the sky in the background is more saturated and bolder than the red cloth of the character is not a good thing.
The brightness of the sky is okay but you definitely need to desaturate it (and maybe add a topdown darkening gradient to add realism) while saturating the red cloth piece.

If you want to render it really well, to the point where it looks quite realistic, you have to understand ambient occlusion, diffuse/specular/antisotropic reflection, and also fresnel effect.

Postby deaderv23 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:00 pm

deaderv23

@naundeeey

Thanks for some feedback/critique! I applied some of tips you gave me and to be honest it looks much better!

Still need to work on many things, but it's getting there. Here is current state of this piece:

Return to Critique This!