Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SplitableInf » Wed May 17, 2017 4:28 am

SplitableInf

Subject title: Trying to get better at rendering in photoshop

Hi all.

I've just painted these strawberries in photoshop. I'm still trying to get better at painting in PS. I've been recently hired on as an artist with an indie game dev team and I need to step up my photoshop game. (I know this strawberry has nothing to do with that but... yeah XD) I don't know how to describe it but I feel like I'm at that "I hope they don't find out that I actually have no idea what I'm doing" stage right now. So I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts or critiques or tips on this or just rendering digitally in general.

Also as a fun little something here is my attempt at drawing a strawberry back in 2013. I posted it in my sketchbook here on the forum... it's really there XD
Denny's Strawberries.jpg
Sketch15.jpg
Somehow I ended up with an instagram??? That's how all the cool kids share their art, right??
https://www.instagram.com/artofamandanp/

Also I have like an art website or something....
https://www.artofamandanp.com/

Postby luftsaob » Wed May 17, 2017 4:48 am

luftsaob

Congrats on the job! That's really awesome, and clearly they saw something they liked in your art if they wanted to hire you, so I don't think you need to worry so much :p I also think your strawberries are done very nicely! I'd suggest maybe adding more contrast in your values, as of now they look slightly washed out. And this is completely optional, but if you wanted to make them look extra fresh and appetizing (I mean I'm already craving strawberries looking at them so clearly you've got that down) you could add a couple sneaky lil' water droplets, which will give the impression that they are super juicy and fresh!
Great job and good luck in the future!

Postby SplitableInf » Wed May 17, 2017 4:56 am

SplitableInf

luftsaob wrote:Congrats on the job! That's really awesome, and clearly they saw something they liked in your art if they wanted to hire you, so I don't think you need to worry so much :p I also think your strawberries are done very nicely! I'd suggest maybe adding more contrast in your values, as of now they look slightly washed out. And this is completely optional, but if you wanted to make them look extra fresh and appetizing (I mean I'm already craving strawberries looking at them so clearly you've got that down) you could add a couple sneaky lil' water droplets, which will give the impression that they are super juicy and fresh!
Great job and good luck in the future!

Thank you for your feedback! It's funny that you mention the values because seriously every time I try to paint something the biggest problem is usually my values. I REALLY need to do some studies. Also I thought about doing some water droplets! So I tried and..... they are pretty tricky so I gave up and decided to leave them out XD Just another thing to study, I suppose XD
Somehow I ended up with an instagram??? That's how all the cool kids share their art, right??

Postby luftsaob » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

luftsaob

I know what you mean, values is my biggest problem too while painting and my teacher is always on my back about it haha! One weird thing I find that helps is to just think of the super darks and superlights and just let the stuff in the middle happen on it's own. It's kinda messy but when I've done that is when my art has been most well received. It's just so hard to really push those values to what they need to be.

Postby Josephcow » Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Josephcow

Good! You've improved quite a lot over the years. You've done a good job with the strawberries but I have some suggestions that will apply to you new job as well.

1. use complementary colors. If you're going to put an area of color around the strawberries, don't choose red. Choose green (or something closer to green, this is actually orange). The reason is because the berries look redder when surrounded by their complement or near complement. They look less red, and less appetizing when surrounded by the same color.
2. Beware of details. Details will not necesarily make your art more appealing. In this case in particular, you would probably want to downplay the details because the more you add the more unsettling the berries get. We don't want to be aware of every single seed in the strawberry. That's not the important part. Draw a few and suggest the rest. Also less brushstrokes=better. Don't let things get overworked. If it looks overworked don't be afraid to paint over it with fresh brushstrokes.
3. Light and shadow. If you aren't already, start your painting by blocking in your major areas of light and shadow with big bold strokes. You can edit the shape later, or do a sketch and then paint with areas lassoed. This ensures that you start with a good structure, and you don't start confusing what is hit by light and what is not.

strawberrr.jpg

4. Choose good references. Your best reference is always going to be life. Photos are misleading. I used this reference:
Unknown.jpeg
, and you might have used the same picture I'm not sure, but beware of stock photos! They look fine at first, but realize that they are lit from many different angles. This is not going to look good if you copy it into your painting because is messes up the light and shadow pattern that I described above. Never blindly copy from the photo, always think for yourself. For instance where is the light coming from? Where is the cast shadow from the berry on the right? I would use photo ref for details, but the lighting I would either do myself or find another ref for the lighting.

Denny%27s%20Strawber2ries.jpg

Good luck with your work! I hope the imposter syndrome doesn't get to you too much. I think everybody deals with that. I tend to think things like "I should wait until I'm a REAL artist." But then, you can always be better so no point in thinking like that.

Postby SplitableInf » Fri May 19, 2017 4:27 am

SplitableInf

Josephcow wrote:Good! You've improved quite a lot over the years. You've done a good job with the strawberries but I have some suggestions that will apply to you new job as well.

1. use complementary colors. If you're going to put an area of color around the strawberries, don't choose red. Choose green (or something closer to green, this is actually orange). The reason is because the berries look redder when surrounded by their complement or near complement. They look less red, and less appetizing when surrounded by the same color.
2. Beware of details. Details will not necesarily make your art more appealing. In this case in particular, you would probably want to downplay the details because the more you add the more unsettling the berries get. We don't want to be aware of every single seed in the strawberry. That's not the important part. Draw a few and suggest the rest. Also less brushstrokes=better. Don't let things get overworked. If it looks overworked don't be afraid to paint over it with fresh brushstrokes.
3. Light and shadow. If you aren't already, start your painting by blocking in your major areas of light and shadow with big bold strokes. You can edit the shape later, or do a sketch and then paint with areas lassoed. This ensures that you start with a good structure, and you don't start confusing what is hit by light and what is not.

strawberrr.jpg

4. Choose good references. Your best reference is always going to be life. Photos are misleading. I used this reference:
Unknown.jpeg
, and you might have used the same picture I'm not sure, but beware of stock photos! They look fine at first, but realize that they are lit from many different angles. This is not going to look good if you copy it into your painting because is messes up the light and shadow pattern that I described above. Never blindly copy from the photo, always think for yourself. For instance where is the light coming from? Where is the cast shadow from the berry on the right? I would use photo ref for details, but the lighting I would either do myself or find another ref for the lighting.

Denny%27s%20Strawber2ries.jpg

Good luck with your work! I hope the imposter syndrome doesn't get to you too much. I think everybody deals with that. I tend to think things like "I should wait until I'm a REAL artist." But then, you can always be better so no point in thinking like that.

Thank you so much for your help! This was really what I needed. I love how much more clearly your strawberries read with less detail. Also you totally caught me... that was the exact image I used. I learned a lot from your feedback! Thank you so much!

Return to Critique This!