Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby vanveee » Mon May 15, 2017 3:40 am

vanveee

Subject title: merperson anatomy/coloring help

It's mermay, and so I drew some fan art for a danny phantom mer au. because it's the last quarter of senior year and goddamnit I've got nothing better to do. I used a ref for the human body, but for the fish half??? im just making it up. does it look alright?? And I tried coloring it but I found it looked like. 30 times worse so. any help in that department would be appreciated. if you need high res psd files for a paintover or redlining or w/e just lmk. thanks!
sdsdsggghehs.jpg

Postby Alpacky » Mon May 15, 2017 5:32 am

Alpacky

I tried fixing proportions and stuff to make it look more... sensical. His torso was too short and the tail was as well.
i would also reccomend re designing the pose and silhouette, right now it seems off balance. It's a smooth, flowing shape, but then there's this.... giant triangle stuck on the end, it's kinda weird.
The silhouette, under your original silhouette (well, after my changes to proportions and stuff) is just meant to be a simplified version,it is not a re design.hope this helps.
IMG_1900.JPG
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Mandilor » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Mandilor

The main problem I'm seeing is it looks really weird that he doesn't have a pelvis or stomach. That's why Alpacky's redraw looks much better. He took the pelvis and where the fish part connects to the human part. That and I do think he has more atheistic proportions. Remember to keep the underlying anatomy in mind even when changing real anatomy.

Postby bosinpai » Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm

bosinpai

Hi! The tail feels weak, maybe he's gonna drown!
Also the end of the fish tail is normally rigid to help with swimming.
Maybe you'll want to show more muscles, while preserving the eal-like shape, something like this:
sdsdsggghehs-2.png

For the coloring, you could add reflection on the tail scales to relieve from all the black.

Postby Crimsonblack XXX » Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Crimsonblack XXX

Nice picture, the line art looks quite nice.
I personal think that his hands look very rigid. The pose he is pulling with his hands is quite difficult to hold and combined with his very placid facial expression looks confusing.
As for the colours I think that the image is a bit too grey ( even the slightly coloured version). I would say either make his tail more colourful ( maybe add a colourful gradient or something ) or make his skin more of a saturated colour as at the moment it looks a little dead.
Also maybe make the composition better. At the moment he is slap bang in the middle which is a little boring. Maybe enlarge him and move him slightly to the side, the negative space around him is a little distracting at the moment.

Overall the image is quite nice though so keep at it :)

Return to Critique This!