Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby JustAnotherRattata » Fri May 12, 2017 4:01 pm

JustAnotherRattata

Subject title: fantroll painting

zaelim.png
I'm Vee
I wish I was a better artist

sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78076

Postby JustAnotherRattata » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 pm

JustAnotherRattata

What could i do to kick an illustration like this up a notch?
I'm Vee

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 pm

DarkLored123

I think a slight change of angle will make the illustration more dynamic, also you might want to give an expression since his face is pretty plain. You might also want to consider the reason you illustrated the character that way and what message you want to convey to the audience. It was executed very properly although you might want to change the width of the left ear to match the right ear, the illustration suffers from it being plain and not conveying enough information for the audience to know what's going on. The mouth for me creates confusion is he sad or shocked? Why is his pupils positioned the way they are? You've got to ask yourself questions like these, because while the execution is correct, the composition itself is way too boring(as a general rule avoid having front view projections, as they are usually very boring) changing the eye-level of the perspective or positioning the character in a slight angle will add more dynamics into the painting.

That's all I can say on my part, the painting itself looks neatly executed but the composition itself dragged it down a bit.

Postby JustAnotherRattata » Sat May 13, 2017 6:06 pm

JustAnotherRattata

thank you for the feedback! i will keep this in mind.
I'm Vee

Return to Critique This!