Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby TheRedCow » Thu May 11, 2017 7:58 pm

TheRedCow

Subject title: Forest Scene, please tell me whats wrong

Im not too sure what the problem with this is but it doesn't feel right, paint-overs/draw-overs are most welcome but if you only have time for a written critique then thats fine to :)
Check My Sketchbook out viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46069

If that isnt enough my deviant art is http://george-eracleous.deviantart.com/

Postby Alpacamood » Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Alpacamood

The brush work is really nice looking! What brushes are you using? Also I would say try fleshing out the environment a little more, maybe make your focal point/ character more pronounced. Maybe look at it in just values aka greyscale to really emphasize your visual narrative. Good luck I really like the looseness!

Postby ManyTcnj » Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 pm

ManyTcnj

Hi Red Cow,

The problem is the color of the grass. It would be more of a blue-green in moonlight, while the flashlight would bring a yellowish glow. This is probably more the color you are looking for.
dsfdfsdfs.png

Postby Josephcow » Fri May 12, 2017 12:20 am

Josephcow

It's really solid! It took me a while to see the monster dude in the back which is just really cool. A tertiary focal point might balance the piece out a bit more though. Like the main dude is quite oviously the focal point, and then the eye goes around the image and finds the creepy troll thing and returns to the middle, and then makes another pass around the image and finds...not much else to look at. Maybe his flashlight is uncovering a skeleton of an animal or some evidence of the monster? Or something interesting the silhouetted foreground could be really cool. I really like it so far though!

Return to Critique This!