Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Matsuzaka » Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 am

Matsuzaka

Subject title: Bittersweet Rain

Image The red arrows are pointing at the sea incase the drawing is too bad.I tried to make it feels bittersweet hence why I use the purplish lighting.

Image I tried to make it feels and kinda looks like this. But i failed at drawing water horribly.

Thanks in advance

Postby luftsaob » Sat May 13, 2017 1:28 am

luftsaob

I think you've painted a very good mood in your artwork! I see what you mean about the rain though. From looking at your reference image, maybe you could try to make the rain drops white like in that? In yours you have it blue which doesn't make much sense with how water reflects and it also causes it to blend with the background to make it hard to see. So maybe white rain will look better? Good luck!

Postby biosphere » Sat May 13, 2017 9:50 am

biosphere

Squint at your painting and you'll see that yours is a large light area with darks in it, while the one you're trying to emulate is a large dark area with some light in it.

Because of the amount of dark and the light source in the painting you're trying to emulate, whoever made it has chosen to represent the rain drops with a light value as the water catches and reflects it (or refracts it as water does).

Your painting is a rainy afternoon with a large lightsource (the sky). The painting you're trying to emulate is a dark evening or night with a single small directed light source (som electric light as hinted at by the lens flare).

I think you should do more actual studies(recreations) of paintings you want to emulate in an attempt to understand what makes them tick. Not just trying to apply it to your own work just yet.

Don't get demotivated or think that you can't do it setting and mood of a piece is very elusive and difficult. For any artist.

Postby Matsuzaka » Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 am

Matsuzaka

Image Thanks for the replies! It's really helpful! I added a bit of like evening sunlight to this one to make it feel more happier because the previous drawing feel kinda depressing.Also I made this before I saw the replies so please forgive me ! I shall post my new progress soon. Thanks again!

Return to Critique This!