Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Whoever1 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 am

Whoever1

Subject title: Critique my journey's beginnings

I used to draw alot as a kid, of course i mostly copied stuff but then life happened and dropped it. Started again 2 years ago but i kept copying and sometime last month i decided to actually get good at drawing and i started to study. Anyway, for school we had to do a redesign for one of the principles of animation (Appeal), the left one's the original and the right one's my redesign, the small zelda image is a reference. This is my first real atempt to draw with structure in mind, so any and all feedback is really apreciated.
Redesign.png

Postby luftsaob » Sat May 13, 2017 1:46 am

luftsaob

I think you did good with the second one! I'm not sure what advice I can give I have trouble finding any problems.

Postby bosinpai » Sun May 14, 2017 8:26 am

bosinpai

Hi. Just a small critique for a couple a details: the right arm seems placed too much to the front, I would suggest looking at yourself in a mirror and check the position of the arm with regard to the torso.
Also it seems she's leaning a bit to the front and about to lose her balance, maybe arch her back some more.
Hope this helps :)

Postby Gryephon » Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Gryephon

The skin kinda feels yellow, I think it's simply too much saturated. I did try to edit some of the colors to diffuse them around the edges (and I guess darken them too), ideally to get them to work better against the background and make things feel less cartoony.

Redesign.jpg
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby Whoever1 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:59 am

Whoever1

Now i can't unsee it haha, she's like drunk or something, good eye. As for the colors yeah, i don't really like her skin but i suppose i was trying to stick to the original more closely since i changed other aspects of the original so much and it was helpful, thanks!

Postby TheRedCow » Mon May 15, 2017 3:11 pm

TheRedCow

Ok so first off thats some good improvement on the character well done! i did spot some anatomy mistakes, they are a little hard to describe in detail so i did a quick draw over, look at the things ive highlighted and in general study the anatomy of the human body a little more and these things ive highlighted should be ironed out

Check My Sketchbook out viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46069

If that isnt enough my deviant art is http://george-eracleous.deviantart.com/

Postby Whoever1 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 am

Whoever1

Great, then i'm not too far off, just an fyi, i did this like 3 weeks ago and since then i think i've learned a little bit more, specially on foreshortening.. but man, i'm having a lot of trouble with the head, i've tried a lot of techniques but i'm just having a lot of trouble with it. Either way, thanks, it helped a lot.

Postby giwayume » Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

giwayume

In addition to TheRedCow's post above, the bottom of the crotch is too high. But you see that he's clearly drawing and thinking in 3d shapes? That's what you need to do in order to be successful.

Copying how a pose you like looks from a single angle will not help you with learning to draw overall. You need to learn to think in 3D, then you need to learn to think of anatomy in 3D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59y ... Y9Fbw_d2ws

Postby Whoever1 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:47 am

Whoever1

Yeah, that's what 've been studying for the last month, form. I can do form in simple objects like cubes or 3d letters, lanterns ballons, stuff like that but since i'm also learning proportion and anatomy it's kinda overwhelming but i'd say i'm slowly getting there. Also, Proko's tutorials are awesome, it's been my main place for anatomy outside books.

Return to Critique This!