Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Devselia » Wed May 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Devselia

Subject title: Clothing help

Hi! I'm new ^^ and felt like making a post here... I'm very determined to improve myself this year :D I'd like a critique on this fanart I did, specifically the clothes.

I have trouble drawing/colouring clothes or drapery in general. It comes off rubbery and unnatural in comparison to the rest of the drawing. I think the colour choices itself are ok but the gravity pull and the wrinkles/ruffles I added in looks odd and the whole thing looks chunky... Yeah I know I just weirdly critiqued myself lol :( if you have more to add on what the problems are, I'd be happy to hear!! More importantly, I just feel so befuddled on how to fix it...

I don't mind paint-overs and book/tutorial recommendations
m( -.- )m thank you all.

...And of course, if you have anything else to critique I don't mind hearing that xD; It's just drawing clothes makes me want to pull my hair out and I want to get over that slump...
5885019eb9c36fbe0e84021c_58d4370d7b084fc70e657d2f_rz.png

Postby luftsaob » Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 am

luftsaob

I really love your painting! Very good and has lots of colours! I do really like how you did her skirt with the ruffles too. I think it looks natural and flowey. Her sleeves maybe have too many wrinkles though. With that many wrinkles I think you only get that is if the fabric is too loose and just keeps sliding down which I don't think works for a sleeve. Maybe make it tighter and less wrinkled? It looks very good and good luck!

Postby Devselia » Sat May 13, 2017 2:29 am

Devselia

luftsaob wrote:I really love your painting! Very good and has lots of colours! I do really like how you did her skirt with the ruffles too. I think it looks natural and flowey. Her sleeves maybe have too many wrinkles though. With that many wrinkles I think you only get that is if the fabric is too loose and just keeps sliding down which I don't think works for a sleeve. Maybe make it tighter and less wrinkled? It looks very good and good luck!

Oh I see what you mean :? !! I feel like I made the skirt too thick, and the sleeves look too thin (and there's no middleground which is what I aim xD)

I will definitely try dialing down the sleeves a bit ^u^ Thank you for your input!!

Return to Critique This!