Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Heorge » Tue May 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Heorge

Subject title: Red-haired oujosama

Using MS paint because my crappy computer can't even run Gimp :D
page 131.png

A bit embarassed posting this, but... supposed to be a "painting" of a girl.

Something I created a while ago, but I'm struggling to picture the "correct way" of putting in light and shadows. How would you go about this?

Postby Josephcow » Wed May 10, 2017 2:57 am

Josephcow

Block in areas of shadow with flat values first. Know the direction of the light source, and look for places where the form will face away from it.

And there isn't much sense in combining cross hatching with areas of shadow. Both are used to indicated form, but you don't need both methods at once. For instance underneath the neck doesn't need hatching because it's already in shadow right? It can't be in super shadow. :P

Postby Villalobos » Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 am

Villalobos

Josephcoew wrote:Block in areas of shadow with flat values first. Know the direction of the light source, and look for places where the form will face away from it.

And there isn't much sense in combining cross hatching with areas of shadow. Both are used to indicated form, but you don't need both methods at once. For instance underneath the neck doesn't need the Penomet from here because it's already in shadow right? It can't be in super shadow. :P

If you did that in mspaint then you have some skills as mspaint is pretty basic so nice job.
Last edited by Villalobos on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Heorge » Wed May 10, 2017 8:01 am

Heorge

The crosshatching was suppose to indicate a "bumpy" surface on the "painting." And also make this gritty look. It didn't turn out very well xD

page 131.png

Better?

Cleaned it up a bit, and tried to block in general shadows before I can refine it further. Something feels slightly off in the hair...

Postby Gryephon » Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Gryephon

If your gonna use crosshatching, my advice would be use it minimally or not at all, especially when drawing pretty girls. The problem with it is that it creates textures that look like dirt, which is inherently ugly. And to note there aren't a whole lot of professional pinup artist that use it (I'm actually not aware of any). If there truly is a way to make crosshatching appealing, it's beyond my knowledge.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby Josephcow » Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 am

Josephcow

Gryephon wrote: If there truly is a way to make crosshatching appealing, it's beyond my knowledge.

How about this? it's not the method of shading, it's how you use it. But I think this particular drawing looks best without it.
1ef057dac8a3660d51a45abb471c9eea.jpg
Gerard Edelinck

Return to Critique This!