Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ManyTcnj » Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 pm

ManyTcnj

Subject title: Music Video

Hey all,

I am working on a music video, and would really appreciate some feedback. The following image will be animated, and then I will probably rearrange the two band members in a closeup to use for promotional purposes. So far, I've gotten the feeback that it looks too cut and pasted, so I'm trying to unify the characters and the spaceship. Any other likes, dislikes, critiques, advice? Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!
red-giant-resized.png

Postby kettukakku » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am

kettukakku

Hey~ I'm unfortunately not able to be of too much help since I'm still learning, but some thoughts I had:

I think one thing that's attributing to the 'cut and paste' look that you're referring to is the color palette. The palette of the man is very red (leaning towards purple), the woman is majorly red/orange toned, and the background is primarily blue/green. It does help to let the characters stand out and be a focal point, but to push them back into their surroundings more, it might help to incorporate more blue/green colors (perhaps shadows or highlights?) into them.

Another idea! I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the image is trying to convey 'average-sized people in too tiny of a space ship', but I feel that could be exaggerated even more. The ship fits them perfectly fine width-wise so it's only the length that is being exaggerated as too small for them; it adds confusion as to whether it's the ship that's too small or half of their body is missing. I think if the ship was even tinier, it would read better that it is actually the ship that's the one that's tiny and not the lower half of their bodies. But again, if this is integral to the animation, please ignore this.

But these are mainly just random ideas that I had ^_^' I really love this painting; the details are stunning and the people (especially their faces) are lovely and have a really cool realistic yet caricatured style which is super cool!

Postby ManyTcnj » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm

ManyTcnj

Hey kettukakku,

Actually, you are of very much help!

Definitely! I didn't think to adjust the colors, especially of the red sweatshirt, since the two characters are taken from different references, I'll try that, and see if it helps.

Yea, as far as the sizing, I'm struggling with that. I don't know if I want to shrink them to make them fit proportionally in the spaceship, and sacrifice detail in the faces, or keep the exaggerated size look. I did not think to make them even more cramped though.

Thank you again Kettukakku! These are exactly the kinds of critiques that help!

Postby cyx » Tue May 09, 2017 4:36 pm

cyx

The yellow/brownish light on the bottom of the space ship probably doesn't make that much sense since it seems like the lightsource is a bit more on the left.

Postby ManyTcnj » Tue May 09, 2017 5:11 pm

ManyTcnj

Hey,

Small update. kettukakku, going from your critique, I changed the color of the sweatshirt on the lit side to be more orangish, and added some highlights on his skin to hopefully make it look like they're both being lit by sunlight, added some more blues to the shadow side, put in some reflections and scratches. Hopefully, it's starting to look more like they're "fitting" in the scene now. Maybe I can push it further. Thanks again kettukakku!

And Cyx,

Yea the underlighting is a bit nonsensical since that light would normally be bounce light from the ground, which there is none in space, but I need some sort of light to show the texture of the metal.
red-giant-resized.png

Postby kettukakku » Tue May 09, 2017 7:52 pm

kettukakku

The update looks great! I think the added shadows and highlights help to harmonize the colors; especially the man's hoodie now has so much more depth and the green lights reflecting onto the glass are very cool! Since it's going to be animated, it might be fun for the green lights to even flash and switch colors. I don't know, I'm just making random suggestions at this point ^_^' But I'm glad to help! It's coming together so nicely :D

Postby ManyTcnj » Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

ManyTcnj

kettukakku wrote: Since it's going to be animated, it might be fun for the green lights to even flash and switch colors.
Absolutely! Probably not different colors as that would require a lot more painting, but I'll be sure to post a link when the video is released! Thanks again!

Return to Critique This!