Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kettukakku » Mon May 08, 2017 4:47 am

kettukakku

Subject title: Help with facial anatomy

Heyyy~

I've been studying faces today and how they look at different angles to help design a 'face display chart' (I have no idea what word that would be) for a character I draw. I made a grid to help me place the features in the same places and such, but I'm sure there are glaringly obvious things that I'm overlooking. I did notice that the ears are unrealistically high, but it oddly enough looked weird when I placed them down where they should be (probably through a fault of my own). Also! I know the cheekbones are CrAzY. It is a character trait for her to have cheekbones that read as uncommonly large/defined, but if someone with better anatomy knowledge would know a better way to portray that, it would be incredibly helpful. I do want to maintain exaggerated proportions for this character, but in a way that still makes sense; I'm unsure if I'm close to achieving that or if this is all kinds of out of whack.

Postby ossifer » Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 pm

ossifer

This depends a lot on how you want to stylize your character, but I just redrew the face with more correct proportions in my own style- hopefully that helps? I like her nose in profile a lot, it's really cute.

Postby Audiazif » Wed May 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Audiazif

Untitled-3.png

I went more realistic than what you did but even when stylizing you need to keep in mind the general proportions and anatomy. The biggest issues are with your profile and 3/4 views. For the profile the starting shape is more of an oval rather than a circle. If you stick to the circle the head will not be the correct shape. Also I find it better to build off the initial shape rather than cutting into it like you did with the nose and brow part. As for the anatomy the ear is not that close to the check bone and it is definitely never in front of the jaw. The ear is placed right behind where the jaw hinges and is placed between the brow line and the bottom of the nose. The best way to learn the anatomy is the start learning from the skull especially if you are going to exaggerate bony areas like the cheek. With the 3/4 view you have to pay attention to the center line and how much you are seeing of the far side of the face. It is not as simple as shifting a front view over and changing the head shape and features a little. You have to think in 3d to make a convincing 3/4 view. The eyes are compressed/foreshortened, the nose and mouth come off the center line and are also in perspective, and the far side of the face is compressed so you are seeing a lot less than you think.

The main thing to take away, if anything, is the whole "you need to learn the rules before you can break them".
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby kettukakku » Thu May 11, 2017 11:56 pm

kettukakku

Thank you Ossifer and Audiazif! Your advice is amazing and it's helped me to make a revision of my sketch:

There are still some things I need to tweak (I'm awful at drawing ears), but the difference is night and day I think and I'm really thankful for your help!

Ossifer- I extended the head and ahh! Yes! I see exactly what you mean! I'm floored by how much better this looks and embarrassed by my rookie mistake ^_^' I changed the neck in profile view to be longer in the front as well which looks so elegant! The ears as well have been lowered, although, something went awry in the front view because the ears look wrong and I can't pinpoint the problem. I tried making them wider, but that only seemed to read as 'very large ears' instead of 'proportionate ears' so I'm unsure what a solution would be. As a side note, I also fixed my hairline according to your sketch and added the 'line that separates the top plate of the head from the side plane of the head' (I'm unsure what it would be called)! To be fair, her hair is going to cover that part of her head, but it's still useful for other characters or if I draw her with her hair up in a bun or something ೭੧(❛▿❛✿)੭೨

Audiazif- Using an oval for the profile and 3/4 makes a huge difference! I see what you mean; the head shape looks so much better than when I was basing it off of a circle. I was hesitant to add to the shape instead of cutting since I was fearing it would give her too heavy of a nose bridge, but after trying it, you were right! I will make it a point to do that from now on. Also! I moved the ear lower and further behind the jaw. I'm unsure how to get it to look correct in the front view though. Studying skulls is a great idea and it's something I should add to my daily practice. I shifted and pulled the facial features further back on the 3/4th view as you showed and it looks so much better! Ahh! Thank you! ҉*\( ‘ω’ )/*҉

Return to Critique This!