Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ManyTcnj » Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 am

ManyTcnj

Subject title: commission caricature

Hey all,

I've gotten good feeback here so far, and everyone seems knowledgeable so I'll try again. I'm doing a commission that involves caricaturing band members. Here's the firs
derek-prev.png
derek-ref.png

I am not happy with it as the face or structure seems broken. I am hoping someone here can help me, or point me in the right direction. Otherwise I'll keep thumb nailing. Thank you!

Postby Ambiguity » Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 am

Ambiguity

With the exception of the forehead, it looks like you're kind of just making all of the individual features bigger instead of exaggerating the unique features and de-emphasizing the the "plain" ones.

Even this might be too safe, but this is what I see:
Rectangular head, tiny ear, short nose, big brow ridge, big lips, and sloped forehead.

Postby Alpacky » Thu May 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Alpacky

I not sure your exaggerating the right areas.
His ear, for example, stand out as very small. But its bigger in your image... than in the original? Try making it smaller than the original.
Try to apply this to everything. Make a list in your head of the characteristics of his face. I dont think his eyes are abnormally large, so they shouldnt get as much attentioon as your giving them. Etc.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby ManyTcnj » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 pm

ManyTcnj

HI Ambiguity and Alpacky,

Thank you both for the critiques. Yeah, I see what you are saying. I tried redoing it and came up with this.
derek-prev.png

The client asked for a hat, so I added that. I tried make the cranium smaller, keep the eyes the same, make the nose smaller, and then exaggerate the lower half of the face. Hopefully this looks like an improvement, and thank you again for the critiques!

Postby ManyTcnj » Sat May 06, 2017 2:23 am

ManyTcnj

Got to this point with the caricature, but the client wants a different pose now. Thanks again for the critiques!
derek-preview.png

Postby Josephcow » Sun May 07, 2017 4:06 am

Josephcow

That's a shame. it's looking really awesome to me! at least you can use it as an example for future commissions though.

Postby ManyTcnj » Sun May 07, 2017 4:33 pm

ManyTcnj

Thank you Joe, appreciate it. Yeah, I'll have to finish it on my own time, but the client wanted a portrait like front view. Here's that.
derek-front-resized.png

Less interesting, I think, but it suits the music video more. Thanks again!

Return to Critique This!