Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snisetski » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 pm

snisetski

Subject title: OKAY PLEASE HELP PLEASE

I don't wanna put clothes on before getting the anatomy, proportions and perspective right so please help me out? Can you tell me if everything looks natural? Can you point out my mistakes? It'd help me a bunch!!
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG

Postby z4m97 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am

z4m97

ok, little crashcourse:

the standard for figures is 7 heads tall, but you can play a lot with it so i don't really like it, i prefer this:

in this system you have everything to measure with itself, halfway across the body is the crotch, halfway between that and the shoulder is the elbow, halfway between the hip joint (greater trochanter) and the foot is the knee... pretty easy right? :D

for the figures, i'd say build a process, start with gesture and try to really get a quick feel for what will they be doing, this is where you first start to plot the perspective and movement with those ellipses that "hug" the forms

then, on top of that, build your figure, learn to draw boxes of different shapes and forms in freehand, and then use them along with the proportions i showwed you to create the figure.

lastly, learn some anatomy and start "sculpting" those boxes to create something more believable.

as for the other image, try and really think in terms of construction blocks:

if we start with a box for the ribcage and some cylinders for the arm, we can pretty soon notice that the hand is in a pretty broken position, but when you don't consider what's behind, you don't know how to position what's in front :D
also, the hand can be simplified into less complicated forms that are WAY easier to imagine, and then, again, sculpt them later

in general, i'd say you're trying to eat an elephant in a single bite, try and munch small, bit by bit, until you clean the plate ;D

start with some basics, those are the best kind of knowledge to wrap your mind around, and they're hard as all hell.... you won't be too successful if you're also trying to think about anatomy, and perspective and everything....

anyway, hope it helped and keep smiling :D

Postby Audiazif » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:01 am

Audiazif

Both poses for the most part seem alright. I think it is just a few things that make them look weird. The first thing is the far arm in both images. I learned that in a case like this in life drawing, where there is a little bit of the arm or hand showing, is to either move the arm or not draw it at all. The reason is that if you are not perfect it will look like the arm is not part of the figure you are drawing. I changed the arm positions to where they have better context. I also noticed you made the forearms and torsos a little to long or at least they look long. I think the problem with the torso is that once you have the measurement down to the crotch you keep adding more length with the legs. The legs come up into the torso a little. With the forearms it is not a huge issue but when you add foreshortening in the mix it exacerbates things. Only thing I can say for foreshortening is that the thing you are drawing is going to be shorter than you think and then some and the thing will also be bigger or smaller than you think as well. The rule of thumb is don't trust what you think. Last thing would be that you don't account for the side planes of the torso when it is turned. Try to see things as boxes.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby snisetski » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:54 pm

snisetski

Wahhh this is confusing (>人<;) but I tried my best:
IMG_1049.JPG
I SHOULD COLOR THIS
IMG_1059.JPG
Last edited by snisetski on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby snisetski » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 pm

snisetski

z4m97 wrote:

start with some basics, those are the best kind of knowledge to wrap your mind around, and they're hard as all hell.... you won't be too successful if you're also trying to think about anatomy, and perspective and everything....

anyway, hope it helped and keep smiling :D

Okay I will start with basics, think about one thing at a time! Ahh cubes and cylinders. I'll first practice how to draw those shapes in 3D from different angles and then learn more about anatomy. Thank you for your valuable advice! I'll keep trying, this definitely is NOT easy haha!

Postby snisetski » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:00 pm

snisetski

Audiazif wrote:I also noticed you made the forearms and torsos a little to long or at least they look long

I made everything tooOOO slender, I realized after you pointed it out! Thank you, I tried again~

Return to Critique This!