Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby z4m97 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 pm

z4m97

Subject title: asking for a favor.

So, some of you know me some of you don't... but i want to ask you guys a favor.

I've been drawing seriously for about 2.5-3 years, but i feel that a lot of those years was wasted in nonsense like "how to draw anime faces" and "how to draw moe styles" and i want to start again (hence the lack of posting on DA and twitter)

so i want you to please take a look at my DA, or my sketchbook, and rip it apart, i know what my strengths are atm, but i really need to realize all my mistakes to plan a course of action.

thanks in advance.

LINKS: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11912&p=216667#p216667

http://z4m97.deviantart.com/

Postby Iksnerogib » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Iksnerogib

I was feeling the same some time ago.
May I show you a video that helped me a lot with this issues?

The video is from Jeff Watts from Watts Atelier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0MrnzBJ8M

PS.: Sorry for not doing a critique.
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby Audiazif » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Audiazif

It is hard to say because I think that when something is off it is usually isolated in that one piece and not across everything. However there were two things that I noticed. The first is that the hands of your characters seem to be on the small side. Not saying it is wrong or anything just something I noticed. The second is in some of your drawings the heads look like they don't agree with the body. Like the bodies were from reference and the heads were stuck on or there is just something not right about how the head is connecting to the body (kind of seeing it here, here, and here).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby z4m97 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 am

z4m97

Iksnerogib wrote:I was feeling the same some time ago.
May I show you a video that helped me a lot with this issues?

The video is from Jeff Watts from Watts Atelier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0MrnzBJ8M

PS.: Sorry for not doing a critique.

thanks a lot! it really does help a lot, gives a lot of motivation to keep on it :D

Audiazif wrote:It is hard to say because I think that when something is off it is usually isolated in that one piece and not across everything. However there were two things that I noticed. The first is that the hands of your characters seem to be on the small side. Not saying it is wrong or anything just something I noticed. The second is in some of your drawings the heads look like they don't agree with the body. Like the bodies were from reference and the heads were stuck on or there is just something not right about how the head is connecting to the body (kind of seeing it here, here, and here).

hmmmm..... yeah i see whatcha sayin'..... the hand thing i didnt even realize to be honest ._. but the head thing yeah, i've been having some troubles with overly long necks, or broken cervicals.... gotta work on that :/

thanks buddy! much much much appreciated :D

Postby Mandilor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:58 am

Mandilor

I only looked at your DA (too lazy to go threw your whole sketchbook). I really like what you're doing and where you're going.

I noticed two things. One: your stuff looks great in thumbnail which is an excellent place to start and get right first but on looking closer or longer at a given piece it looks unfinished. A bunch of your stuff looks like comic book/manga type drawings so maybe they would look better in context of multiple panels. As is they feel like they're 90% there but missing something essential. You have some really cool well painted focal points but your backgrounds/non focal points are so simple and dull that they take away from the piece as a whole. My advise would be to try spending longer working a piece till there is nothing left to work on.

The second thing I noticed is it's mostly in black in white. Now they look good and working in b/w isn't a bad thing but if you never work with color you won't learn how to use it. That said the Valkyrie piece that's in color looks really nice so maybe you do have a good grasp of and aren't showing it. If that's the case share more of that stuff!

Those are just my first impressions of things I'm seeing that you should look out for and consider whether you want to address them or not.

Postby z4m97 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:12 pm

z4m97

Mandilor wrote:I only looked at your DA (too lazy to go threw your whole sketchbook). I really like what you're doing and where you're going.

I noticed two things. One: your stuff looks great in thumbnail which is an excellent place to start and get right first but on looking closer or longer at a given piece it looks unfinished. A bunch of your stuff looks like comic book/manga type drawings so maybe they would look better in context of multiple panels. As is they feel like they're 90% there but missing something essential. You have some really cool well painted focal points but your backgrounds/non focal points are so simple and dull that they take away from the piece as a whole. My advise would be to try spending longer working a piece till there is nothing left to work on.

The second thing I noticed is it's mostly in black in white. Now they look good and working in b/w isn't a bad thing but if you never work with color you won't learn how to use it. That said the Valkyrie piece that's in color looks really nice so maybe you do have a good grasp of and aren't showing it. If that's the case share more of that stuff!

Those are just my first impressions of things I'm seeing that you should look out for and consider whether you want to address them or not.

thanks a lot! :D
yes, i will definitely practice my bg more, and try and finish all my paintings

also, hehe, the black and white stuff was to give an "old" impression, since they were ww1/ww2 themed xD i do need to practice my colors tho :/

Postby Mandilor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 am

Mandilor

z4m97 wrote:
Mandilor wrote:I only looked at your DA (too lazy to go threw your whole sketchbook). I really like what you're doing and where you're going.

thanks a lot! :D
yes, i will definitely practice my bg more, and try and finish all my paintings

also, hehe, the black and white stuff was to give an "old" impression, since they were ww1/ww2 themed xD i do need to practice my colors tho :/
Yeah and it works. THose pieces do have an old timey feel. You could've also tried using a washed out stained yellow that is another way of doing an old timey look that uses color. But what you did is still good so no real right way to do it.

Postby Oli » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Oli

Hey mate,

I have been thinking for a bit whether to write here or not. So I hope I am not too late :D Despite that you mostly do manga-esk stuff (I don't like manga too much..!) I always liked what you where doing. And you did develope over the time here, so I do not think that you wasted time.

Maybe now, to get to the next level, you might wanna add more and more details. Some nice textures here and there. Some cool looking smoke fxs and such. Stuff that adds to the atmosphere of your drawings. If you look at this piece of yours:

I think it is cool and there is nothing wrong with it. However, I think you can push the WW1 feel by adding barbewire in the foreground. Or make it rain. A granade exploding in the background. Show that those girls suffer and that this place is the last place on earth someone wants to be! Just try to push it! And have fun while doing so :D

P.S: The figures look dope!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby z4m97 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:54 am

z4m97

Oli wrote:Hey mate,

I have been thinking for a bit whether to write here or not. So I hope I am not too late :D Despite that you mostly do manga-esk stuff (I don't like manga too much..!) I always liked what you where doing. And you did develope over the time here, so I do not think that you wasted time.

Maybe now, to get to the next level, you might wanna add more and more details. Some nice textures here and there. Some cool looking smoke fxs and such. Stuff that adds to the atmosphere of your drawings. If you look at this piece of yours:

I think it is cool and there is nothing wrong with it. However, I think you can push the WW1 feel by adding barbewire in the foreground. Or make it rain. A granade exploding in the background. Show that those girls suffer and that this place is the last place on earth someone wants to be! Just try to push it! And have fun while doing so :D

P.S: The figures look dope!

thanks a lot buddy! :D
yeah, i dont want to move away from manga xD i just want to make it better.
and you're right i spend too much time refining my figures to the point where everything else is lacking (effects and atmosphere, mcomposition)

also i'm flattered that you make an exeption to like my stuff :D

Postby snisetski » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:31 pm

snisetski

I'm not qualified enough to say anything here but there's one thing I wanna say. I don't really understand what you mean by "start over" because you're already at such a high level! But yes, if you are unsatisfied with what you're doing, you should definitely try new ways to improve or change. But, I don't think you should feel super unsatisfied because your drawings are beautiful! I absolutely LOVE your artworks. They are so inspiring and whenever I look at them, they only make me wonder if I can ever EVER reach your level! So please don't let anything bring you down because what you're doing, you're doing it good! At your level, it might not be the best for you but for many others, it's amazing! Whatever you do, never stop drawing and keep improving!! Good luck~

Postby z4m97 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:15 pm

z4m97

snisetski wrote:I'm not qualified enough to say anything here but there's one thing I wanna say. I don't really understand what you mean by "start over" because you're already at such a high level! But yes, if you are unsatisfied with what you're doing, you should definitely try new ways to improve or change. But, I don't think you should feel super unsatisfied because your drawings are beautiful! I absolutely LOVE your artworks. They are so inspiring and whenever I look at them, they only make me wonder if I can ever EVER reach your level! So please don't let anything bring you down because what you're doing, you're doing it good! At your level, it might not be the best for you but for many others, it's amazing! Whatever you do, never stop drawing and keep improving!! Good luck~

thanks a lot for the compliments :3
i really really REALLY appreciate them, seriously
it's not like i think im the worst ever, just that i want to have a better understanding of the basics, before going for the more complex stuff and struggling uphill all the time... but it came out a little more depressing than expected xD
thanks again for the supernice comment, it's nice to hear that im inspiring someone :D i will keep drawing dont worry (im drawing even more these days xD) and i will keep trying to improve and help as many others as i can along the way :D

Postby snisetski » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:29 pm

snisetski

z4m97 wrote: i will keep drawing dont worry (im drawing even more these days xD) and i will keep trying to improve and help as many others as i can along the way :D

yEEEAASS ╰(*´︶`*)╯♡ do your best!

Return to Critique This!