Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snisetski » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

snisetski

Subject title: Need some help here~

Can you please tell me if the perspective is alright and whether things look fine or not? Also please tell me how the colors feel like!
IMG_0636.JPG

Postby Iksnerogib » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 am

Iksnerogib

The top part looks inclined towards the viewer/camera.
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby snisetski » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:01 am

snisetski

Iksnerogib wrote:The top part looks inclined towards the viewer/camera.

But the buildings do not?

Postby Iksnerogib » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 am

Iksnerogib

snisetski wrote:

Yeah, I mean the top part of the buildings. I don't know why. Maybe it's just me.
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby snisetski » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am

snisetski

Iksnerogib wrote:
snisetski wrote:

Yeah, I mean the top part of the buildings. I don't know why. Maybe it's just me.

No you were right!! After you pointed that out, everything looked so off! Here, I tried to fix it:
IMG_0668.JPG

Postby Audiazif » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Audiazif

Are the buildings round? If so, then the the wrapping lines would be curving the opposite way. Any ellipse above the eyeliner will "frown". For example, the building in the middle, the top and curved lines on it would be arching up instead of down. Also it looks like you added a vanishing point up above like the "viewer" is looking up, If this is the case then all verticals will converge at that point. The cone building and "pole thingys" will have to go towards the vp as well.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Alpacky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Alpacky

In a rush,
Work on values, as well.
It would be easier to see your mistakes if you can see what your ur drawing (plus... you would have good values, right now it's incredibly dark.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Chanime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Chanime

Hellooo, i'm studying perspective too, my english is bad so anything ignore my text and see the overpaints i did.

First, i liked veryyyy much your intention, a meteor in the night falling down in the city. See the google references for you undestand a little more of you want make: https://www.google.com.br/search?q=mete ... SBHFcJMOUM:

About your painting, what you need improve now is the Structure (fundamentals), you need make forms in several angles for you can make everything in this world. In the google if you search "pesperctive grids" and
"perspective basic forms" you will see a lot of helps for you.
And now, try don't use a lot of Dark tons, the night are "dark" but you don't need use the """black"""... practice Grayscale for you improve your eye.

I hope that you understood my text, i'm studying english :<
Good luck man, you are in the road :D

Spoiler: show
Creature Artist, Brazillian.

SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80087
Portfólio: http://caiohilustrador.wixsite.com/chanime
DA (a lot of studies): http://caiochanime.deviantart.com/

"If you don't chase after your dreams, who will?"

Postby z4m97 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:24 am

z4m97

Hello!
so, it appears as i'm a little late on this one xD

just let me start by saying how cool it is that you're pushing your boundaries :D

so, first off: perspective

one of the best advoces i have recieved regarding perspective, is to create a perspective grid, which is basically a bunch of guidelines to create parallel lines in freehand more effectively:

then, try and make things easier by creating boxes for everything (the little asian structure has just an addition for the roof)

then "sculpt away" the forms of the buildings, following the guidelines of the perspective grid :D

now, the painting, i think color is my last concern with this, let's check your tones.

Basically, in every image there are two major components when talking about tone:

major key, and minor key

basically, the major key refers to the overal tone of the piece, if its dark, its a low major key, if it's light, it's a high major key.
the minor key refers to contrast, if there's a lot of contrast in the piece, it's a high minor key, if there's not much contrast, it's a low minor key.

in your original work, i'd say you have mid major key and low minor key, which makes for very little tonal contrast and very grey in general.

i think it could work much better if you think about it as a low major key high minor key:

now, that asteroid does look like is on fire and lighting up everything else :D

also, when painting, keep in mind the form of the shape that is being lit up, don't just make the edge lighter, consider how smooth and hard edges work :D

hope it helped and keep smiling!

Postby snisetski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 am

snisetski

z4m97 wrote:Hello!
so, it appears as i'm a little late on this one xD

just let me start by saying how cool it is that you're pushing your boundaries :D

so, first off: perspective

one of the best advoces i have recieved regarding perspective, is to create a perspective grid, which is basically a bunch of guidelines to create parallel lines in freehand more effectively:

then, try and make things easier by creating boxes for everything (the little asian structure has just an addition for the roof)

then "sculpt away" the forms of the buildings, following the guidelines of the perspective grid :D

now, the painting, i think color is my last concern with this, let's check your tones.

Basically, in every image there are two major components when talking about tone:

major key, and minor key

basically, the major key refers to the overal tone of the piece, if its dark, its a low major key, if it's light, it's a high major key.
the minor key refers to contrast, if there's a lot of contrast in the piece, it's a high minor key, if there's not much contrast, it's a low minor key.

in your original work, i'd say you have mid major key and low minor key, which makes for very little tonal contrast and very grey in general.

i think it could work much better if you think about it as a low major key high minor key:

now, that asteroid does look like is on fire and lighting up everything else :D

also, when painting, keep in mind the form of the shape that is being lit up, don't just make the edge lighter, consider how smooth and hard edges work :D

hope it helped and keep smiling!

Feedback is always appreciated, no matter the time! I currently am having an art block so I haven't been active here.

Whoa! Keys, eh? Sounds like something related to music. I never knew! I'm being honest, it's a little confusing to understand. I'll look into it more and study about it and try again!

Tbh, I didn't think of drawing this one. I just wanted to draw a fireball-ish thing and this kind of just happened. Recently all my works have just been spontaneous, rather than being planned out so maybe that's why this kind of pushed my boundaries!

As always, your advice seriously helps me out a lot. You have no clue! I hope I can call you my sensei, haha! Thank you so much!! I'll try to keep improving~

It did help, please have an amazing day filled with candies and cats kind of happiness!!

Postby snisetski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 am

snisetski

Chanime wrote:Hellooo, i'm studying perspective too, my english is bad so anything ignore my text and see the overpaints i did.

First, i liked veryyyy much your intention, a meteor in the night falling down in the city. See the google references for you undestand a little more of you want make: https://www.google.com.br/search?q=mete ... SBHFcJMOUM:

About your painting, what you need improve now is the Structure (fundamentals), you need make forms in several angles for you can make everything in this world. In the google if you search "pesperctive grids" and
And now, try don't use a lot of Dark tons, the night are "dark" but you don't need use the """black"""... practice Grayscale for you improve your eye.

Sooo to turn the picture into grayscale to see the tones, eh? I'll definitely do that! Oh! Okay, I'll learn more about structure and tones too!

It did help, I understood what you meant. Thank you so much for your help, I'll keep it all in mind.

All the best studying English! You're good enough already~

Postby snisetski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:22 am

snisetski

snisetski wrote:
Chanime wrote:Hellooo, i'm studying perspective too, my english is bad so anything ignore my text and see the overpaints i did.

Sooo to turn the picture into grayscale to see the tones, eh? I'll definitely do that! Oh! Okay, I'll learn more about structure and tones too!

It did help, I understood what you meant. Thank you so much for your help, I'll keep it all in mind.

All the best studying English! You're good enough already~

P.S- those are some cute looking animals ( ´ ▽ ` )〜

Postby z4m97 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:27 am

z4m97

snisetski wrote:It did help, please have an amazing day filled with candies and cats kind of happiness!!

woah woah woah! that's WAY TOO MUCH HAPPINESS!!! D:

seriously tho, glad to be of help xD

Postby snisetski » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:47 pm

snisetski

z4m97 wrote:
snisetski wrote:It did help, please have an amazing day filled with candies and cats kind of happiness!!

woah woah woah! that's WAY TOO MUCH HAPPINESS!!! D:

seriously tho, glad to be of help xD

haHAHaHA (`・∀・´)

Return to Critique This!