Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby UnicycleThief » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:04 pm

UnicycleThief

Subject title: Digital Painting critique

Hey everybody!
I'm looking for some feedback/critique (particularly on colour) on this painting I've been recently working on. I'd love to read your suggestions and see how I can improve it further. Thanks!

DressNoFrame.jpg
    Progress pictures, sketches and general art-related things
    "Formal/Official" art page
    Time-lapses and speedpaints

Postby Josephcow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Josephcow

Wow! this study is great, I think it has real potential. You really captured the elegance of the pose with the delicacy of your painting. It does have a few issues though especially with the color. i also really like the background, how you used a rake brush to put the orange on top of the blue.

First of all, nice work on the rotation of the face. You really were able to hide the corner of the lip and the eye behind the nose, though the far eyebrow I think still needs to move to the right a bit. But the skintone is a bit of a problem. It is very very close to the same color as the dress, which is white or grey. This makes the skin look kind of dead.You do have a few hits of color on the skin which is nice, but the overall still needs to be more saturated. The first thing I did was put a color layer over the skin which did two things: separated the skin from the dress, and evened out the skin tone.

The painting of the skin lacks structure, and it a bit patchy. When painting a goddess type figure, or just a beautiful woman, even more so do you want an even ness of skin tone.
One of the areas this stands out is the chest. You've rendered all these indications of ribs, and bones on the chest. This is not needed and makes the chest feel sunken in, adding to the dead or gaunt feeling. So on low opacity I brushed over this area to smooth it out. You might see those details in your reference, but that doesn't mean you should paint them.

Paintings are kind of like seeing something from a distance, or slightly out of focus. A photo is like examining something up close. From across the room you aren't going to notice small bumps in skin, eyelashes, veins and things like that. You can have a super detailed painting, but then the entire work needs to come up a level of specificity.

My other point is that the lighting on the face is a bit unclear. The light is coming from the top left I think, but you put the side of her temple in shadow even though it faces the light. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a cast shadow from the hair though. But in any case the head could use more structure and attention to the light source, and the dress could use more structure. I like how the folds of the fabric kind of deteriorate to almost water at the bottom, it's pretty cool. But what about the overall structure of the dress/body? You have a lot of tiny folds drawn in, but how do they fit into the larger structure of the dress? Remember that there is a body underneath there, which is affecting the folds. I don't have time to paint the dress, but I did brush some color over it just because it had some of the same issues as the chest. It's kind of overworked and walks the fine line between loosely painted and messy.

Good luck! I hope this helps.
DressNoFrame1.jpg

Postby UnicycleThief » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:44 am

UnicycleThief

Josephcow wrote:Wow! this study is great, I think it has real potential. You really captured the elegance of the pose with the delicacy of your painting. It does have a few issues though especially with the color. i also really like the background, how you used a rake brush to put the orange on top of the blue.

First of all, nice work on the rotation of the face. You really were able to hide the corner of the lip and the eye behind the nose, though the far eyebrow I think still needs to move to the right a bit. But the skintone is a bit of a problem. It is very very close to the same color as the dress, which is white or grey. This makes the skin look kind of dead.You do have a few hits of color on the skin which is nice, but the overall still needs to be more saturated. The first thing I did was put a color layer over the skin which did two things: separated the skin from the dress, and evened out the skin tone.

The painting of the skin lacks structure, and it a bit patchy. When painting a goddess type figure, or just a beautiful woman, even more so do you want an even ness of skin tone.
One of the areas this stands out is the chest. You've rendered all these indications of ribs, and bones on the chest. This is not needed and makes the chest feel sunken in, adding to the dead or gaunt feeling. So on low opacity I brushed over this area to smooth it out. You might see those details in your reference, but that doesn't mean you should paint them.

Paintings are kind of like seeing something from a distance, or slightly out of focus. A photo is like examining something up close. From across the room you aren't going to notice small bumps in skin, eyelashes, veins and things like that. You can have a super detailed painting, but then the entire work needs to come up a level of specificity.

My other point is that the lighting on the face is a bit unclear. The light is coming from the top left I think, but you put the side of her temple in shadow even though it faces the light. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a cast shadow from the hair though. But in any case the head could use more structure and attention to the light source, and the dress could use more structure. I like how the folds of the fabric kind of deteriorate to almost water at the bottom, it's pretty cool. But what about the overall structure of the dress/body? You have a lot of tiny folds drawn in, but how do they fit into the larger structure of the dress? Remember that there is a body underneath there, which is affecting the folds. I don't have time to paint the dress, but I did brush some color over it just because it had some of the same issues as the chest. It's kind of overworked and walks the fine line between loosely painted and messy.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this out, it's incredibly helpful!

I think I struggled the most with the similarity in colour between the skin and dress fabric, so reading this feedback I now see how I can improve it a lot more. The texture on the skin and fabric is almost identical, I now realise! I find that I often tend to desaturate the skin as more time is spent on the painting so I'll definitely watch out for that, especially keeping in mind over-detailing elements on the décolletage.

I'll most likely revamp this study sometime soon, lots to learn.
Thanks again!

Last bumped by UnicycleThief on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:44 am.
    Progress pictures, sketches and general art-related things
    "Formal/Official" art page
    Time-lapses and speedpaints

Return to Critique This!