Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snisetski » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 am

snisetski

Subject title: Look here~

I would just post this in my sketchbook but I really spent a lot of time on this and would like someone to critique it

I wanted to know whether I got the anatomy right or not, about the colors too, the shadow as well and also the overall picture. Can you please help?
IMG_0356.JPG

Postby Ab Captain » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am

Ab Captain

The upper body is kind of small in comparison to the legs. The eyes both look front on as opposed to 3/4, other than that nothing stands out to me as overtly wrong anatomically.
The gesture is both ambiguous and stiff, all of his/her body parts are more or less straight. Although, I have just realised they're ice skating. One good thing about the gesture though is that their arms lead into the face (which I presume to be the focal area). Look at images of ice skaters in motion to find a dynamic and realistic pose.
I would say (though I'm very unversed in colours) your colours are too subdued in the figure and the values of the upper body (specifically the head) seldom contrast the background.
Paintover.jpg
Very quick, I hope it at least somewhat illustrates the point

Looking at mine now, the shirt distracts from the face. Probably because of the saturation and value being greater than the head, hopefully my illustration isn't too vague to demonstrate the general principle.
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Return to Critique This!